Half A Day

You have to read A Quiet Night for you to understand why this is written. Also I've put this towards the bottom of the book because I don't want you to read it without context of the other chapter.

***********************************

Mason glanced up from his phone as the car pulled through the White House side gates. Outside people dotted the sidewalk, all of them holding up their phones wanting to catch a glimpse of someone important.

Every morning heading to school was like this. He didn't understand why people waited. It seemed like a waste of time to him, with the blackout windows it was impossible to see inside. Still they waited. Idiots.

Mason focused back on his phone, the eager and expectant faces getting on his nerves more than usual that day. Maybe it was the exhausting three-hour photoshoot he'd had to bear through last night.

Nothing said family bonding time like having to force a smile for three hours straight. He stopped asking what the photos would be used for a long time ago. Besides it didn't matter, one of his friends would tell him.

At the school, Mason climbed out of the car and slung his backpack strap over his shoulder. He'd barely walked a foot before someone snagged the space beside him. Bradley nodded to Mason, all ease and friendliness. It pissed Mason off. He'd insulted this guy yesterday, yet here Bradley was smiling like Mason hadn't humiliated him. Wasn't he mad at all?

Of course he was. Mason had been vicious. But Mason was also Mason Douglas, First Son, it was better to be next to Mason than not. So Bradley probably cursed Mason in his mind while smiling in his face. It sickened Mason.

What annoyed Mason more was the fact that he nodded back to Bradley, mirroring his 'friend's' chill. After all, if Mason acted out too much the press would be all over it.

That meant as Mason walked through the school halls he wore his easy, All American Boy smile. Fours years had made the smile a natural reaction to anyone looking at him. He was pretty sure if he was strapped to a chair and tortured the stupid smile would still be on his face.

Bradley left Mason at his science classroom with a comment about seeing him later. It was ridiculous how people did everything for him because of who his father was. It's like they believed pissing him off was an act of treason.

As Mason headed to his table, he spotted Lucas leaning against the side of it, staring down at Carter.

"Lucas," Carter said. "You continue to stand there I'll be forced to neutralize you. And neutralize can mean a lot of things."

Her voice dropped and Mason couldn't see her but saw as Lucas flinched and could only imagine what Carter's implications meant. The girl was crazy.

Mason approached his seat and Carter cut her gaze to him, her permanent scowl in place.

"What's with that stupid smile?" she said.

His mask of a smile had been so reactionary he'd forgotten he still wore. But Carter's words zapped it away. Here was one student who didn't seem charmed by it. The only student who would annoy him less if she was.

"Owens," Mason said. "Flirting with men above your social status again?"

Carter swiveled around. "Men? Men go here? Cause all I see are pathetic boys."

At that Lucas left. Mason didn't understand why he kept coming around. The girl clearly hated him, yet he returned time and time again. Never mind, Mason knew why. Lucas enjoyed a little challenge and no one was more challenging than Carter. Mason should know, they were lab partners.