Chapter 1 - Gender Reversal

My sister brought up an interesting question the other night, she asked what my story would be like it I switched the genders of the main characters but kept the same personalities. After thinking it over I was so intrigued by the idea that I decided to write it out and see how things would be different.

So this is the first chapter with the genders swapped, I apologize it your brain hurts.

Carter is now Carson
Donovan is now Dominique
(Dom-in-neek)
Link is now Lilly

***********************************

The mahogany grandfather clock in the corner of the Principal's office ticked impatiently. The dark wood echoed that of the imposing desk that took up half the room. Carson sat slouched in his chair, arms crossed over his chest. His expression one of boredom.

"Mr. Owens, I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to be here today," Principal Withers said.

Carson glanced at his father, his posture was one of military rigidity, his black suit immaculate, his face unreadable. Hints of gray peeked out through his hair, despite his age.

"I don't wish to keep the President waiting so I will come to the point. Mr. Owens, your son," Principal Withers shot a furious look at Carson who stared back, unflinching, "dislocated the shoulder of a fellow student."

Carson leaned further back in his chair.

"Technically, he dislocated his own shoulder," he interrupted.

From the corner of his eye, he read annoyance in his father's face. The slight narrowing of his eyes, tightness in his lips, and the twitch in his eyebrows. Principal Wither's leaned in.

"Don't play with me boy," he said. "I'm shocked Zac Warren didn't press assault charges." Turning from Carson, the principal focused on Carson's father. "Mr. Owens, since you were away at the time of the incident I wanted to be sure to bring this to your attention. We have a 'no violence' policy here. Since this was Carson's first offense, he was merely suspended. But should something like this happen again, Carson will be expelled."

Carson felt the anger radiating off of his father.

"Thank you Principal Wither's for bringing this to my attention." Carson's father never looked at him. Carson felt a sickening drop in his stomach. If he wasn't sent to military school for this it would be a miracle. "I assure you this with not happen again. Was there anything else?"

The grandfather clock ticked louder and the Principal rose.

"No, that was all. If you will excuse me, we are receiving a large group of students this morning and I must get back to work."

Carson's father stood, shaking Principal Wither's hand.

"Good day," his father said.

Sling his messenger bag over his shoulder, Carson followed his father out the door. Students trickled into the halls, their voices bouncing off the polished floors. Carson tucked his hands into his pockets, giving his father a sideways glance. His features revealed nothing, though his tense shoulders and quick pace spoke volumes.

"So..." he said.

The glance his father sent him cut off anything else Carson might have said. Yup, military school. At the school's front doors, Carson paused, wondering if he could avoid the conflict if he feigned having to go make up a test. As if sensing this, his father spoke.

"Car. Now."

The words came out in a low growl and Carson took in a breath and followed after his father. A  chilling breeze cut across Carson's face as they stepped outside. Shoulders knocked against him and he held himself back from growling at the offenders. At the black SUV, his father spun on him.