Getting the News

Hey, you know how I've written chapters and said don't read this but you do anyways. Yeah, I'm just not going to say anything at all.

***********************************

Donovan twirled his keys on his fingers as he walked down the apartment hallway. Work was over and it felt like he left the stress of it in the elevator. When he knocked on the Evans' door, Maddy opened it with Harrison sitting on her hip. She greeted Donovan with a smile and stepped back. Link sat on the floor while Kennedy climbed over him. Donovan crouched down.

"Hey there, Princess," he said.

At the sound of Donovan's voice, Kennedy paused, spotted him, then rushed over to him. Before she could tumble with her excitement, Donovan scooped her up.

"Princess, huh?" Link said, pushing himself up. "How does Carter feel about that nickname?"

Donovan kissed his daughter's cheek. "Well, I explained to her that a princess can rule as well as be feminine so our daughter knows she can be whatever she wants to be."

"She still hates it?" Link asked.

"Of course, she's pushing for Cadet, which works. It means Princess can be just my nickname for Kennedy."

Donovan smiled at his daughter and she snuggled against him, leaning her head on his shoulder. He wasn't sure anything could make him as happy as that. Well...Carter had her moments.

"Let's get some food," Donovan said.

"They are already fed," Maddy said.

"All right. Bath time."

"That's done too," Link said, pointing to Kennedy's onesies.

"Fine, books then bed."

Kennedy gave no argument so Donovan figured it was a good plan. It also meant that they had time to wait for Carter to get home.

"We appreciate you watching Kennedy these last few days. This O'Malley case is taking longer than Carter expected. She plans to take the year off once it's done to be with Kennedy."

Link slid his arm around Maddy's waist and ruffled Harrison's hair.

"We don't mind. Harrison enjoys the company."

Donovan said goodnight and slipped across the hall to their apartment. He stepped out of his stiff shoes but didn't change from his suit since Kennedy still rested against him. Grabbing a stack of picture books from a basket near the couch, he settled down. He read to Kennedy, finishing every page with a look at his daughter. She sucked her thumb, sometimes touching the bright pictures. After each book, Donovan glanced at the door then his watch. He figured Carter would have been home by then.

"And it was the best day Allen had ever had," Donovan said, finishing the last book.

He looked at Kennedy and found her passed out. Gently, he lifted her and carried her to her bed, tucking her in. He kissed her head and switched on her nightlight. He shut her door then looked to the front door. Still, no Carter.

He didn't find it strange, this case had been taking everything out of her. Long hours but few results. Donovan showered and changed into a pair of sweatpants. He checked his phone but there were no calls. Not stressing, he tossed his phone onto the bed and headed into the kitchen.

The clock on the oven said it was only seven-thirty. The quietness of the apartment pushed Donovan into action. What Carter needed was a relaxing night, good food, and of course, him. He smiled as he set a pot of water on a burner. He grabbed a package of tortellini. The counter became crowded with all the ingredients for pasta.