Something New (Part 7)

I'm going to warn you, nothing happens in this chapter. It's merely me making up for the pain I put you through in the previous 6 parts. Which you do have to read for the chapter to make sense.

Anyway, don't blame me if you don't find it all that interesting.

***********************************

Donovan woke to the feeling of feather-like kisses peppering his face. He kept his eyes shut wanting to stay in the blissful feeling.

"I want waffles," Carter said, still kissing his cheek.

"What is your payment?" Donovan murmured, still half asleep.

In answer, Carter wrapped her arms around Donovan's neck and kissed him deeply. As far as payments went, this was one of the best. He pulled her close, savoring the feel of her in his arms, a feeling he planned to continually cherish.

The soft tap-tap of a hand on their door broke them apart.

"Mommy," a little voice said. "I hungry."

With one last quick kiss, Carter climbed out of the bed. Donovan tucked one arm behind his head, watching as Carter padded to the door. Her hair was a wild mess and she wore sleep shorts and one of his t-shirts.

He wasn't sure there was a better sight than that. But he was proven wrong when Carter opened the door and scooped Kennedy into her arms.

"What?" Carter said, walking back to the bed. "You're hungry? How is this possible? I distinctively remember feeding you two days ago."

Donovan chuckled as Carter sat back down on. When Carter stood Kennedy on the blankets, she began to hop.

"I hungry," she said.

"Donovan, back me up here, I gave her a packet of rations and a canteen. She's not hungry."

Kennedy jumped more forcefully, her dark hair bouncing with her. "I want orange juice."

"Do you, Cadet, do you really?"

Carter wrapped Kennedy up, blowing raspberries on her round cheeks, eliciting a shriek of giggles. Donovan smiled, his heart close to bursting with happiness. Losing Carter had felt like he lost nearly everything. Now that she was back, everything in their life felt like a gift. One he never would take for granted.

"Well, daddy is going to make waffles," Carter said.

Kennedy cheered at this announcement and Carter sent Donovan a pointed look.

"All right," he said. "I'm getting up."

Grabbing his shirt from the floor, he tugged it on and led the procession to the kitchen. As Donovan cooked, Kennedy and Carter fell into a deep discussion. Well, as much as a discussion as anyone could have with a toddler. Still, Donovan loved hearing Carter answer statements with the deepest of insights.

Waffles eaten, or in Kennedy's case half-eaten, half-smashed on her tray, the decision to go to the park was agreed upon.

Stealing Harrison from across the hall, the group found themselves in the midst of a perfect day. Warm sunlight bathed the world. The temperature remained balance between spring and summer. Releasing the two hooligans out to the playset, Donovan and Carter settled themselves onto a bench.

Donovan watched as his daughter daringly climbed the slide backward, Harrison watching her with awe. When Carter began to trail her fingers through Donovan's hair, he glanced over at her. She offered him a quiet smile.

"You're more affectionate since you've gotten back," he said.

"Or maybe I'm just reminding those mothers across the way that you are in fact a kept man."