Book Date

This chapter is a mix of three different ideas smashed together, so we'll see how it goes.

You should know it's so meta its like a meta-human created her own meta world just for this chapter.

Also thanks for helping with this one, you'll see what I mean.

***********************************

Donovan squeezed the trigger and felt the recoil of the gun. Again and again, he fired, his aim steady, his breathing even. With each bullet, he felt his frustration over his current case ease away. The man who his team knew had beaten and killed his wife would not get away with it. Evidence would be found.

He heard the faint click of the empty chamber and lowered the gun. Around him rang out the sharp bangs of other guns. He released the clip and set it on the counter before him, along with the other five clips he'd emptied. That was how many it took for his frustration to leave him. It's why he'd been given a day off. After three weeks of constant searching, the team was weary and each of them had been given time away to clear their heads.

Donovan hit the button on the counter and the target sheet raced towards him. The center of the sheet was torn to shreds, every one of his bullets having pierced it over and over.

Someone whistled impressively behind him.

Donovan removed his headphones and turned to see a well-built man in his early twenties with short, trimmed hair, green eyes, and sharp cheekbones standing behind him.

"That's impressive," the man said. "Military training?"

Donovan nodded. "Marines."

The man smiled and gestured to himself. "I'm Army." He held out his hand. "Jamison Kent."

Donovan clasped the man's hand, liking his easy manner. Lately, everyone around him had been so stressed it was nice to meet someone so relaxed.

"Donovan Keller."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Donovan. Do you come here often?"

Turning around, Donovan snapped off the target sheet and collected his empty clips and gun.

"No, but I needed a place away from where I usually train."

And this place had pleasant memories attached to it. It was a good place to clear his head.

Jamison nodded and joined Donovan as he headed towards the exit. Donovan liked that he didn't pry into where Donovan's usually spot was.

"What do you use?" Jamison asked.

"M45. You?"

"I prefer the 9mm Glock 17."

"A good gun. How'd you do?"

In answer, Jamison held up his target sheet. It looked like Donovan's only less clean. Donovan nodded in approval.

"Are you still with the Army?" Donovan asked, pushing through the door to the main room.

"Just got out, actually. I'm in DC looking for a job."

"What are you looking for?"

Jamison set his gun and clips on the counter. "Haven't made up my mind yet."

Donovan set his items down and pulled out his wallet.

"Hey, Mark," Donovan said. "How much?"

As Mark told him and Donovan found the cash, Jamison leaned on the counter, inspecting the photos on the wall. Donovan noticed as he stilled, staring at one photo. Donovan followed his line of sight to the one of Carter and Steve. It was on their first visit there.