College Party

So I did research but none of it gave me concrete answers so I apologize ahead of time for this being completely unrealistic. What I'm referring to will make more sense once you read.

I hope you still enjoy it! ☺️

***********************************

"Why are we doing this again?" Carter asked, looking away from her reflection to Donovan.

He sat on the edge of the bathtub/shower, bent over his knees, hands clasped together. His gaze roamed around the cramped bathroom like even after five months of being together the space would reveal something new about her. At her question, his eyes landed on her.

"Because Link and Maddy decided that college parties are something that should be experienced at least once."

Shaking her head, Carter went back to combing her hair into a ponytail.

"It's still stupid," she said.

"You don't have to go," Donovan said.

"What? Let you go alone and get mauled by drunk college girls, I don't think so."

Donovan chuckled but said nothing.

"Can you hand me a hair tie, it's in the top drawer."

Donovan leaned forward and pulled the mentioned drawer open, rummaging through it. After handing Carter what she wanted, he lifted out a switchblade.

"Why is there a switchblade in your bathroom drawer?" he asked, amused.

Carter shrugged and tied her hair back. "Always good to have weapons stashed where they are easy to reach in an emergency."

Shaking his head, Donovan replaced the knife. The front door open and a second later Carter's father appeared in the doorway. Donovan stood as if he had been doing something more incriminating other than sitting.

"Where are you two off to?" he asked.

Carter rolled her eyes. "The idiotic tradition formally known as a college party."

Her father chuckled. "Did you know your mother and I met at a college party."

Surprised, Carter stared at her father's reflection. "I didn't know that."

He nodded, a strange distant look in his eyes. Carter spun around, but before she could press him for more information, his gaze focused and narrowed on her t-shirt. It was black with the Marines logo on the front. At her father's obvious displeasure, she grinned.

"Breathe, Captain," she said. "And remember you both fight for the same thing: life, liberty, the American way, and me."

As she slipped passed him, she patted his shoulder.

"I'm going to get my shoes. Donovan don't die before I get back. Also, remember there's a switchblade in the bathroom drawer."

As Carter tugged on her shoes, she heard the murmur of voices and figured it meant at least Donovan wasn't being strangled. When she walked back out, it was to find her father with his hand on Donovan's shoulder.

"....her safe," he was saying.

Noticing Carter, her father dropped his hand and nodded to them.

"Try to avoid as much stupid as you can," he said.

"It's a college party, I'm pretty sure that request is impossible."

"Still."

Her father hugged her and kissed the top of her head. "Stay safe, Sarge."