Aftershock (Part 2)

You really need to have read the chapter before this for this chapter to make a lick of sense.

Also, don't read this is you're at all feeling sad, it will not help.

***********************************

Donovan was formed from fury, pain, and grief as he stared at Carter's battered face. He watched as she slowly breathed in and out, proof that she was still alive. He heard the rattle of wheels behind him but didn't move.

Only when a medic tapped his shoulder, did he finally stir. Balling his fists, he backed away. He watched their every movement as they checked Carter's vitals and transferred her onto the gurney. After strapping her in, they wheeled her out of the warehouse, Donovan trailing behind.

They passed bunches of men passed out and FBI agents kneeling beside them, handcuffing them. Outside the night burned with light from spotlights set up around the warehouse. Brock, Clint, James, and Steve talked with other agents, breaking down the events of the night. Donovan ignored everyone as he followed the medics to the ambulance where they lifted the gurney into the back.

As Donovan was about to climb in after them, someone called his name. He almost ignored the voice, before recognition clicked and he turned around. Director Townsend strode towards Donovan, his face unreadable. When he neared the ambulance, his attention jumped from Carter back to Donovan.

"Agent Keller, you want to explain to me why you disobeyed a direct order?" Townsend said.

Emotions roared inside Donovan, giving him no patience for this man.

"No," he said. "Now either fire me or let me go with my wife."

Again Townsend accessed the damaged to Carter.

"Agent Owens will be on leave until she is deemed fit to return to duty. As for you, you are suspended indefinitely." Donovan didn't care and moved to the ambulance. "I assume your suspension will be lifted about the time your wife recovers."

Donovan halted and glanced back. "Understood, sir."

Donovan hauled himself into the back of the ambulance and the doors were shut on them. The sirens wailed as the vehicle drove off. Donavon sat to the side as the medics did their jobs, attaching an oxygen mask to Carter's face.

In the light of the ambulance, Donovan was able to see every strike that had been landed on her body. Nausea crawled up his throat and he forced it back, clenching his fists. To keep himself from lashing out, he stared at the oxygen mask, watching as the plastic fogged and cleared, fogged and cleared.

The ambulance turned into the drive outside the hospital and the backdoors were yanked open. Two nurses stood waiting. Donovan jumped down and stood aside as the medics lowered the gurney. The moment it hit the ground, they were pushing towards the entrance. The doors split and they were encased in the smell of ammonia and the harsh glare of fluorescence. A doctor in a white lab coat moved to greet the group, stopping before Donovan.

"I'm Dr. Neil, I'll be seeing to your wife. I know that you don't want to but if you can wait out here, I'll let you know when the assessment is done and you can see her."

Donovan swallowed down the anger that seared his chest and nodded. The doctor disappeared behind the doors and Donovan was left with the chaos of his emotions. A white-haired nurse approached and handed him a clipboard with forms for him to fill out.

Donovan took it and stared at the pages as if he had forgotten how to read. After his brain started working again, he dealt with the information needed and returned the clipboard to the nurse who offered him a sympathetic smile which he didn't register.