Continued Alternate Universe

Before you read this you NEED TO HAVE READ the previous chapters (Summer Vacation and A Different Time) but this is a continuation of both of those. Enjoy! ❤️
***********************************

Carter strolled down the White House hallway, her gym bag slung across her chest. Men in black suits passed her, some recognizing her and nodding while others barely glanced at her presence.

A door along the hall opened and Mason walked out, dressed in gym clothes and drinking from a water bottle. When the pair locked eyes, they slowed and quietly regarded each other as they passed.

"I still regret it," Mason said.

"Not more than me," Carter said. "Worst decision of my life was not ending it after a week. Best decision was dumping you."

"It was mutual."

"Sure, it was."

"Can't even imagine what I was thinking," Mason said. "Now you're where you should be as my arch-nemesis."

Carter spread out her hands in a careless fashion. "Really? Because you don't even merit that much commitment from me. You're simply an annoying boy I made the mistake of dating."

"I stand corrected, you're merely that random girl I go to school with."

"Fine by me."

"Fine."

Carter spun around and headed away from Mason, shaking her head. Whatever made her say yes to dating Mason Douglas was beyond her. She blamed it on the isolated summer at Camp David. It was like Stockholm syndrome.

Putting Mason out of her mind, she turned into the training room. She paused in the doorway, scanning the occupants. A few pairs sparred together but they weren't who Carter focused on.

She focused on the newest Secret Service agent in the far corner boxing a dummy.

As if sensing her gaze, Donovan met Carter's eyes. He gave her a short nod and returned to his practice. Carter had to face facts, he was cute. Correction, he wasn't cute, he was the type of good-looking that should be illegal. He was a walking distraction hazard. He could cause car wrecks if he ever crossed the street.

Spinning on her heel, Carter headed to the locker room where she changed from her school uniform into gym clothes. She dropped her gym bag by the mats and tied her hair back. Donovan was still at the dummy, his movements precise.

A pair of boxing gloves flew into Carter's face and she jerked back, barely catching them.

"Look alive, Owens," Curtis said, grinning.

She sent him a flat look and tugged on the gloves.

"We're working on your footing today," Curtis said. "You take too big of steps, it throws off your balance."

"Sounds good."

Carter held up her hands, ready to spar. She managed to go a few minutes before her eyes were drawn to Donovan. A smack to the side of her head sent her stumbling.

"Focus," Curtis said.

Carter righted herself and went again, willing herself to keep to the task at hand. She fared better the next time, lasting longer before she glanced Donovan's way. A hit to the shoulder took her by surprise and she hit the mat. Muttering, Carter rose to her feet.

"I got this," Carter said.

Instead of falling into his stance, Curtis straightened, arms crossed.