The Twelfth Date

You know I've never given you a date chapter so I figured it was about time! Enjoy!

Also I have mentioned this specific date before so I hope you enjoy that tidbit.

***********************************

Donovan parked the Mercedes outside of Carter's apartment and climbed out. The early evening air felt pleasant despite the heat of the day. As he ascended the stairs, he straightened his shirt and rolled his shoulders. Each time he approached her front door he felt this knot of anxiety in his stomach. But once he saw her, that all went away. He knocked and the door opened.

It wasn't Carter on the other side but Steve.

Donovan tried to make his posture even more formal but it was difficult since he was already rigid.

"Hello, sir," Donovan said.

He wished that seeing Steve in casual jeans and a t-shirt would make him less intimidating but it wasn't true. He figured nothing would change facts: he was Carter's father, former Navy SEAL, currently Secret Service.

"Come in," Steve said.

Donovan walked into the living, trying not to look around for Carter.

"Have a seat," Steve said. "Carter is running late with Maggie. Do you want something to drink?"

Donovan nodded since his throat felt suddenly dry. No Carter and alone with her father. Even after going through three different courses to prove he could watch out for Carter, in front of Steve he felt like some reckless teenager here to steal his daughter. Not the twenty-two-year-old he was.

Steve handed Donovan a glass of water and Donovan drank it, reminding himself to slow down so he didn't choke and spit up all over Steve. In contrast, Steve looked completely at ease sipping his water.

"Donovan," Steve said. "This will be your twelfth date."

"Yes, sir."

Steve nodded, regarding Donovan with solemn eyes. Slowly, he set his glass down on the coffee table. Donovan wanted to bolt for the door and make his apologies to Carter later. But he held firm. It was more threats, he could handle that. He'd grown up with three older brothers after all.

But what Steve said startled him.

"Did you know I was a year younger than you are now when Carter was born?"

Seeing the strong, capable man in front of him, Donovan found it hard to picture Steve that young. And with a newborn.

Steve smiled softly, leaning over, arms resting on his knees, hands clasped. "I was twenty-one when I first held Carter. I thought at first that my love for her would come over time." He shook his head. "It was instant. The moment I saw her I knew I would kill to protect this precious baby girl." He locked eyes with Donovan, his gaze serious. "A love like that only grows with time. So imagine how I feel about her now, if back then I was willing to kill for her?"

Donovan swallowed but his throat was dry again.

"I'm telling you this because I was your age once. I know that it's easy when you're young and first getting close to someone to say a lot of things. Make a lot of promises." He held Donovan's gaze. "Do not make my daughter promises you can't keep. Is that clear?"

Donovan swallowed again. "Of course, sir."

Steve eased back, his smile calm. "Good."

The door to the apartment opened and Donovan almost sagged with relief but knew Steve would notice so held himself together. Carter rushed in but stopped at seeing them. She threw one hand behind her making Donovan notice the shopping bags she was attempting to hide.