Something Super

A little something because someone wanted to know about Mason and his lady love.

***********************************

A thick fog lay over the city, turning the street lights into floating ghosts. Carter leaned against a rough stone building, hands buried in her pockets. The mist chilled her skin but she barely noticed, her concentration focused on a doorway across the street from her. The hood of her jacket sat low on her head, shadowing her features. Minutes ticked into hours, but Carter remained in her spot.

When the door across the way opened, Carter perked up, the hours of immobility making her muscles revolt at the movement. A man double Carter's size with a menacing sneer stepped out of the bar and scanned his surrounding. Hiding in the shadow of a building, Carter went unnoticed. Satisfied with what he found, the man turned and headed down the sidewalk.

After a minute, Carter crept out from her hiding spot and followed, keeping her distance. The fog swirled around the city, giving it an eerie feeling.

"Every move you make,
Every breath you take
I'll be watching you."

Despite the grim surroundings, Carter smiled.

"Mason," she said, keeping her voice low. "The fact that you have even a mildly decent singing voice is shocking. I didn't think you had a talent beside being egotistical."

A sharp laugh filled Carter's ear.

"I would take offense, but I didn't think you had a talent beyond being really aggressive. Seems we are both wrong."

"I find it amazing you can admit you're wrong, Mason."

"Technically, I admitted that we are both wrong. Which I only said both of us because I didn't want you to feel bad about being inferior."

Carter rolled her eyes and jogged across the street, pausing at a corner to watch as the man she followed continued down a block.

"Mason, your ego is so big even your reflection gets tired of you, so it is amazing to me that Yvette is still dating you."

"You have seen how good looking I am, right? What more do you need to question."

Carter slid around the corner, hugging the building, keeping to the dark patches of the sidewalk, her target a silhouette in the fog.

"Good looks is not enough to keep a girl like her around," she said.

"I have a dashing personality."

"No, you don't."

"I'm witty."

"Not at all."

"The thing is, I don't know why I'm still with her. She makes me feel like I'm not good enough for her and I don't like it."

Carter almost snorted but held it in, not wanting to give away her presence.

"Why not break up with her and put her out of her misery?"

A long sigh came from Mason's end. "There's a problem with that?"

"Oh?"

"Yes, I happen to be in love with her."

A gasp slipped from Carter's lips and she stumbled dramatically.

"Did you die, Carter?"

"No, a flying pig knocked into me and I felt a chill, almost like something was freezing over."

"Ha, ha. I'm capable of love."

Carter's target headed towards a busy street and Carter quickened her pace, not wanting to lose him in the congestion of the sidewalk.