Distraction

This is really really early in their relationship and I wanted to see how Carter would handle this whole issue.

***********************************

Carter read the paragraph again for the twentieth time. On the other side of the couch, Donovan shifted and ran his hand through his hair. This was ridiculous! She completely forgot what she'd just read. Again!

Pinning her eyes to the textbook, Carter forced all her energy into reading. Nothing would distract her this time. This time she would read and understand and be able to write her essay.

She read the paragraph. There. Done. She read it and understood. She moved on to the next paragraph. Donovan stretched and placed his hands on top of his head. An action that irritatingly accented his toned arms.

That's it! Carter couldn't do this anymore. There were only two weeks left of school. She needed to write this essay to maintain her perfect grade in English. To be able to write the essay she needed to be able to finish reading the page. But she couldn't stay focused on reading. There was only one solution.

Carter raised her head as Donovan looked over at her. They spoke at the same time.

"Do you want something to drink?"

"We need to break up."

Donovan stared at her for a long second then stood.

"All right," he said, casually. "Do you still want something to drink?"

He made his way to the kitchen, Carter gaping at him. What?

"Did you not hear me?" she asked. "I said we need to break up."

Donovan retrieved two glasses of water and walked back to Carter, setting one on the coffee table before her.

"Okay," he said, settling back on the couch. "Why are we breaking up?"

"Because you're too distracting. And I seem to have lost all control of my thoughts. You move, I look over. You shift, I forget what I've read. You breathe, I want to kiss you. I can't do this."

Donovan nodded thoughtfully and sipped his water.

"That makes sense," he said.

"Why are you so calm about this?"

Donovan leaned back and Carter hated him for how comfortable he looked in her living room. For how much she liked that he looked so comfortable.

"I'm calm," Donovan said. "Because one: I get what you mean. Two: my mom said this would likely be a common reaction."

Carter stared at him. "Let's start with the first part of that. You get what I mean?"

Donovan laughed. "Carter, you understand I want to kiss you constantly, right? Among other things. And I've been on the say equation for the last ten minutes because you scrunch up your face and I find it insanely cute."

Color flooded Carter's cheeks and she wasn't sure she liked this response either. When had she started blushing? This was out of hand.

"What about what your mother said? You talk to her about me?"

This time Donovan stared at her like it was a trick question.

"Of course," he said. "You're my girlfriend. I talk to her a lot about you."

"But it sounded like you analyze me."

Donovan hesitated as if knowing he was entering dangerous waters.

"We do." Carter crossed her arms, needing a physical barrier. But Donovan reached out and placed his hand over her arms. "You understand you're one of the most complex people I know. Of course I'm going to ask my mom for help because I want to understand you."