Aftermath (Part 4)

You have to read the previous chapter for this to make sense.

Also if you are at all emotional or sad DO NOT READ THIS!! It will only make it worse, this is not a light chapter but I enjoyed writing it anyways.

Tissues and ice cream are advised.

***********************************

A scream pierced through Donovan's sleep and he bolted up, swinging his gun towards the door. The room was pitch black and he blinked, his eyes adjusting to the darkness. There was no attacker waiting for him though. Shaking the sleep from his mind, he lowed his gun, it was then he realized where the noise had come from.

Beside him, Carter was twisted in the sheets, her fingers clawed around the blankets. Setting his gun down on the nightstand, he flicked on the light. Carter let out a whimper, her face twisted in pain. Donovan pushed back the damp hair from her forehead.

"Carter," he said. "Wake up, it's a dream."

She jerked to the side and Donovan gently shook her.

"Carter, wake up," he said louder.

She twisted again, fighting something in her mind. Donavon cupped her face.

"Come on, Carter, wake up!"

His voice cut through and her eyes shoot open, terror clouding them. He caught her wrist as she lunged for his throat, her fingers curled as if she were going to rip out his jugular.

"Hey," he soothed, "it's me. You're okay. I'm right here."

He pulled her into his arms, cradling her against him. Her entire body was shaking and she buried her face into his shoulder, her heart racing as if she had been running for her life.

"It's okay," he whispered, smoothing her hair.

She said nothing and he felt the hot trickle of tears on his skin. Right then, Donovan knew someone breaking every bone in his body would be hurt less than the pain of Carter crying.

Eventually, she stopped trembling and her breathing fell back into a deep, even rhythm. Though he was exhausted, Donovan couldn't find sleep again. Instead, he listened to the sound of Carter's breathing and held her to him, trying to reassure himself that even though she felt miles away from him, she was still there.

**********

When the morning dawned, Donovan came awake like someone was trying to bring him back to life. A weary ache in his bones made everything heavy. He rubbed his eyes, banishing the fog in his head.

When he twisted his head to the side, he found Carter was awake but didn't seem to notice that she was. Her eyes were glazed and she lay motionless, her body curled as if still trying to protect herself from blows that had stopped coming long ago.

"Hey," Donovan said, brushing her hair behind her ear. "How are you doing?"

No reply was given. Leaning forward, he gave her forehead a gentle kiss.

"I'm going to go make breakfast, want anything special?"

Dead silence was all that followed. Letting out a breath, Donovan climbed out of bed. After pulling on a pair of sweatpants, he grabbed his phone and headed out. At the door, he glanced back, Carter hadn't moved like she was made of stone. Feeling his heart sink in his chest, he went to the kitchen and started the coffee. As it was gurgling, he made a call.

"How is she?" Steve asked.

Donovan leaned on the counter, exhaustion slugging through his veins.