The Story (Part 5)

Here you go, the final installment of the Carter Broken Saga. If you haven't already, make sure you've read the previous two chapters.

There's a part in here that would naturally be in italics since it's a flashback, but reading in italics for long chunks is annoying you will just have to use your imagination.

If you can't then what are you doing reading this book?! Go watch movie. It will probably be more uplifting than this chapter.

Warning: violence. (Like intense violence) and again emotional pain! YOU ARE WARNED!

***********************************

As they left the gun range, Carter never let go of Donovan's hand, forcing him to drive with just one to accommodate her. She needed it. He was her anchor. The eye of the storm that she had been trapped in.

Without the constant reminder of his presence and strength, she had the fear that she might lose herself once again. It was a terrifying feeling, needing him almost as much as she needed to breathe.

When they entered the apartment, Donovan paused, watching her. She could see the way he made note of every movement, every inhale and exhale as if he were reminding himself she was alive. For his sake as well as her own, she couldn't lose herself.

The emotions that had been ripped out of her with each fire of the gun were still a tangled mess, but at least she felt herself returning.

Without saying a word, Donovan guided her to the couch. When he sat, Carter instantly settled into his lap, feeling the comfort and familiar warmth of his body. He held onto her and kissed her forehead, saying nothing letting the words come when they would.

For a long while, Carter remained silent, soaking in the solidity of Donovan, the reassurance that when the world had been shattered he was still there. She let out a slow breathe, relaxing further into his embrace.

"It happened two days after I made you that video," Carter said. "The day I was supposed to meet my handler."

She tensed the past almost too vivid to enter but knew the only way to face it was to plunge in. Donovan tightened his hold on her helping her remember where and who she was. She swallowed and walked back into a world she would rather never remember.

*******

The night chill swept over her as she made her way through D.C. The hood of her jacket was pulled up but she had this sensation that eyes were tracking her. Bypassing the main entrance to the FBI building, she ducked into an alleyway and found a hidden rear door.

After slipping through the security, she was safely within the building. Due to the lateness, the place was silent. What guards were on duty were nearly invisible. Finding a back stairwell, Carter climbed the twelve floors to the office she shared with Donovan. The floor was quiet, the only glow available from beyond the windows.

Even though she knew he was busy with an op, she wished to see him sitting at his desk. Still, the lingering scent of his cologne made her smile. As she took a seat behind her desk, she flipped on the lamp and pulled up a video screen on her computer. For a beat, she didn't know how to start but knew even if she had no evidence or was being paranoid the gut feeling she had couldn't be ignored.

Imagining Donovan watching this, she smiled.

"Hey, Donovan," she said.

She took in a breath hating the words that she would need to say and knowing full well how it would hurt him to hear them.

"So," she continued, clenching her fists. "If you're getting this message now, it means I didn't make the meeting with my handler. My cover is most likely blown. If that is the case then there is something I need to tell you."