A Boys' Day

You've asked for it and here it finally is: Danny and Donovan.

***********************************

The room was still dark as Donovan walked out of the closet dressed in workout clothes. Carter shifted on the bed and he crept to her. When he planted a gentle kiss on her cheek, she stirred.

"Where are you going?" she mumbled.

"Boys' Day."

Carter hummed in response, already falling back asleep. Donovan eased the bedroom door shut behind him. Crossing the hall, he peeked in on Kennedy. Her soft snores made Donovan smile. He had to resist the urge to step inside and kiss his daughter goodbye.

The early morning Saturday kept the world quiet as Donovan drove to his in-laws' house. When he arrived, he grinned as he saw Danny stepping out of the house. At fifteen, Donovan knew if he was anyone else's kid he'd be a heartbreaker. But Steve and Maggie wouldn't have raised a callous son.

As Donovan climbed out of the car, he couldn't help remembering the first time he'd held Danny. He'd never told Carter, but holding her little brother made Donovan want a kid. He saw the way Steve beamed on his son, the pride he felt for a baby whose greatest accomplishment so far had been breathing. Maggie, though exhausted, glowed with happiness.

Carter and he had only been dating for two years and nowhere near baby plans talk, but right then Donovan knew he wanted a kid. It didn't matter how long it took to happen. It would be when Carter was ready.

"You ready for this," Danny asked, stretching his legs.

"Are you? You've been out of track practice for a week now, I feel like you might have lost your touch."

Danny grinned and shoved Donovan's shoulder.

"Not likely, just try to keep up, won't you," Danny taunted.

Donovan ruffled Danny's hair then took off, Danny charging after him. For a mile, they raced, Danny's growth spurt keeping him tied with Donovan, though Donovan had years of stamina built up. Eventually, they fell into a manageable pace. One that lent room for talking. Donovan did little talking, leaving Danny to fill him in on what was going on in his life, in school.

The ease with which Danny talked never failed to make Donovan happy. There'd been times when he worried he might not matter to Danny, not when he looked at Carter like she was the whole world. He couldn't blame him, Donovan felt the same way.

But then Donovan had one moment when babysitting Danny when he was four that changed it all. Carter had been on a stakeout and it was the first time Donovan volunteered to babysit without her being there. After a moment of uncertainty at arriving at Steve and Maggie's house, Donovan had thrown himself into the task.

Across the living, into the dining room, and down the hall, Donovan had created a pillow and blanket fort with obstacles laid out within. He'd timed Danny on how fast he could get through it all. The night had ended with an exhausted Danny, but a new connection between them. After that each time Steve asked Danny who he wanted to watch him, Donovan was asked for.

Though Donovan worried Carter might not like the shift, instead she encouraged it. She and her brother would always have a bond and she knew that.

When the pair reached the Washington Monument, they exchanged a look then bolted. Donovan sprinted towards the steps, his lungs burning, his limbs lead and jelly all at once. Danny shot him a grin.

"This time I beat you," he said.

Donovan didn't answer, he put an extra spurt of speed into his feet and charged up the steps. As they reached the top they were neck and neck. Donovan sprinted up the last step a breath before Danny. They both jogged forward before stopping, leaning over their knees.