A Romantic Gesture (Part 3)

This is to make up for the last two chapters. Because I know it was a bit rough there for a moment.

***********************************

Donovan sent off his report, grabbed his satchel, and headed to Carter's desk. The day's long hours hung off him and all he wanted to do was see her. But when he got to her desk, he found it empty. He made a slow circle but knew he wouldn't see her, her bag was gone.

"Have you seen agent Owens?" Donovan asked an agent one desk over.

"She left about thirty minutes ago," she said.

Donovan thanked her and walked to the elevator, sending a message off to Carter as he went. By the time he hit the parking garage, he'd received a quick response.

"Had something to do. I'll see you at your place for dinner."

Despite being tired, Donovan smiled and pocketed his phone. Though the drive wasn't long by any standards, he felt like it took ages. It had been only a month since Carter and he had gotten back together and seeing her always made his day better. He could all too clearly remember the months of not being able to see her or even talk to her.

When he opened the door to his apartment, he expected to find her waiting but it lay empty. He stepped inside and something crinkled underfoot. He bent down and picked up a folded piece of paper. On it was written a simple note in Carter's handwriting.

When you're ready, come up to the roof.

Hurriedly, Donovan exchanged his suit for a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and raced up the stairwell. He opened the door to the finished roof and stopped. Laid out on the wooden deck was a tablecloth with takeout bags ready and waiting. Lanterns circles the set up, glowing dimly, the evening only just beginning. Standing in the center of it all was Carter.

Her hair hung loosely over her shoulders and she wore the Marine t-shirt he'd brought her in college and an old pair of Navy Seal sweatpants. Somehow seeing her like that was more attractive to him than if she'd been wearing a stunning dress with her hair done up.

"What's this?" he asked, approaching her.

She swept her hands out. "I believe it's what people call a romantic gesture."

Donovan laughed and kissed her, relishing the feeling of her lips.

"Why?" he asked as they took spots on the edge of the tablecloth.

"This last month we've been working so much on our cases that I figured we needed a night where we weren't pouring over crime scene photos and analyzing psychopaths."

"How'd you think up this?"

"I called Maddy and asked her what to do. She said nice dinner, somewhere romantic, and wear something attractive. This is what you got."

Donovan cupped her face and kissed her again. "Remind me to thank Maddy later."

"You think this outfit fits that description?"

"Yes I do."

Carter playful pushed him. "Hopefully that makes up for my lack of cooking."

She set before him a styrofoam container and Donovan knew from the smell exactly what it was.

"You went to my favorite Mexican food place," he said.

"It's better than me burning your dinner."

"I would still eat your burned dinner."

"I wouldn't. Now eat, it's already getting cold."

Donovan dug into the food, feeling like he always did while eating Mexican food like he'd been transported back to his childhood.