16. Prove It

An update on time for once 😅
I hope you all enjoy it!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

Permanently scarred. 

It's a week later and my bandages have finally been removed, allowing me to finally see the true damage of Ezlyn's torture. I shift from one side to another in front of the body length mirror, the fabric of my top bundled into my hands as I hold it up from my stomach.

My anxiety spikes at the sight I'm met with. The wound is closed but in its place is a long, deeply etched scar. I want to drown away the pain that surfaces from the sight- to be numb. I want to forget, wishing away the memory of Ezlyn burying her claws into my once smooth flesh.

I drop the fabric of my black, long sleeve shirt, turning away from the mirror to pretend like it doesn't affect me at all. I take in a deep breath, any moment Felice is going to arrive and escort me to Torben. I hear he wants to see me now that I'm fully recovered and I can certainly say I'm not looking forward to it.

I know what he wants and it doesn't matter whether or not he gets it or not...

...Having me is more than enough.

I've given it some thought the past week and I understand that my choices are limited. My choices are to either stay and allow Torben to use me as his bargaining chip, or to escape.

Yep, they're pretty limited and It's cleared to me which one I have to make and if it doesn't work out...

I don't even want to go there.

I glance back when the door opens and Felice is standing there, "Are you ready?"

"Yes," I whisper, swallowing the lump in my throat before passing him in the doorway. He closes the door and overtakes me, silently leading me closer to Torben.

I haven't seen Torben this past week. He hasn't been back to his room, nor has he been bothered to speak with me. It's been driving me crazy, you can't assess your enemy's next move when they're not around. I'm surprised he's left it til now but at least he was honest when he said he'd allow me to heal. So far his word is the only thing I respect.

Felice takes us downstairs before approaching a door and wracking his knuckles against the wood. "It's open," comes Torben's voice from the other side, making me inhale a deep breath whilst Felice turns the handle and pushes the door open.

Immediately our eyes meet, Torben's dark gaze assessing my features from behind his desk. I silently walk into the room, Torben silently dismissing Felice with a nod. When the door closes, Torben's eyes shift to the chair on the other side of his desk, "Please, take a seat."

My eyes narrow on the chair and I reluctantly take a seat, helping myself to relax into it whilst pushing myself a little further away from his desk, not wanting to be too close to him. I take my time, looking around the room. The walls in here are neutral tones with a plain oak wooden floor. His desk, which looks like it's taken a beating, is also made from oak wood but its expertly crafted.

As I admire the workmanship, Torben takes it upon himself to start up the conversation, asking me, "How are you feeling?"

I lift my gaze to him, surprised to find him slightly distressed. My voice comes out harsh, "I could be better." I tried to keep the pain and devastation hidden but I don't think I was too convincing from the way his brows furrowed.

I tensed when he lifted himself from his seat, silently walking around his desk until he was directly in front of me. He sat down on his desk and rested both his palms down against the wooden surface for support. Leaning away from him, I don't know what to think of the strange gentleness in his features.