33. The Dreams

Here's a Monday update! I'm still not sure about this chapter so please let me know your thoughts.

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

The entire pack was in distress over what had happened to Torben.

They were asking questions. Too many questions that I couldn't answer.

"Is the pack under attack?"

"Who harmed Alpha Torben?"

"Will the alpha be alright?"

I looked out the window of Torben's room. A crowd had formed outside, some praying for Torben to be okay while most were demanding me to come out and answer their questions. I could see Felice and his men pushing the crowd back while my fear grew along with theirs. The crowd was growing aggressive and Felice was forced to have a few taken away and put in a cell for the night. I stood back so they couldn't see me watching. The angry crowd seeing me would only cause Felice more grief and he was already having to deal with too much already.

I quickly closed the curtains, the muffled uproar of the crowd grating my ears. I was so close to tears but I couldn't allow myself to break down. Torben needed me to be strong and take hold of the situation.

I faced the bed where Torben lay. His red, raw skin was slowly healing and the more severe wounds were wrapped in bandages. A healer was at his bedside for the tenth time in two days, assessing his progress.

I looked at him lying there on the bed. More vulnerable than I'd ever seen him.

At some point, I'd have to go out and face that crowd before it got out of hand. For Torben's sake and mine, I had to be strong and act as Luna. Running would only lose me respect and loyalty within the pack for the future.

My wolf held her head high, her chest puffed out. She was ready to take on the role and that gave me enough strength to do the same. She wanted to do this for him, she needed to do this for him. And so did I.

I told the healer I'd been gone for a moment. She nodded and continued her work of checking on Torben.

Downstairs, the roars of the crowd were growing louder and I felt my heart cripple with fear. Uniformed guards were posted at the door and when they saw me approaching they made a point of stepping in front of the door.

The guard to the left said, "I wouldn't go out there. The crowd is becoming difficult."

"I know. That's why I need to speak to them as their Luna."

"I don't think alpha—"

"He's not in a position to say anything." I ground my teeth and the guard shared a look with the other man next to him. "Let me through."

They looked like they wanted to argue against it again but thought better of it. Good. When they were out of my way, I took a deep breath and opened the main door. The roars hit me, loud and deafening. Goddess, I wanted to run back inside but that would only anger them more.