49. Not Until I've Spoken to Her

Here's an update!!

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

    My heat was over, and I couldn't be more grateful for it. I had never experienced that kind of intense, internal pain, and I was glad it was over. At least until the next one, I suppose.

    Torben had made sure to be careful. He knew I wasn't ready for a pup. Not now. Not when we faced an uncertain future filled with war and danger. One day, maybe. When the world was safer and I could focus on just the pack and Torben, only then would I consider having a pup.

    Just the thought of carrying Torben's pup brought a stupid smile to my face. I pushed the thought away, knowing I didn't have the luxury of time to think of such things right now.

    I walked outside of the house, feeling more refreshed than I had in a long time, thanks to Torben letting me rest while he dealt with everything. And now it was the day of the meeting, and though I had little to prepare, I still had to get myself ready. Only there was one thing I needed to do first.

    The few cottages came into view the moment I turned a corner and to my delight, packed bags were still in the front garden. They were still here, and I still had a chance to convince Josephine and James that they didn't have to follow their mother into a life of isolation and danger.

    I knocked on the door and a minute later I heard James shout, "Who's that?!"

    "How should I know? Josephine get the door, would you?" Rita shouted back, more annoyed than she usually sounded.

    I stood straighter, waiting for that door to open.

    It wasn't long until footsteps sounded, and the door opened. Josephine looked at me, pursed her lips and shook her head. "It's not worth it, Asmara. You shouldn't have wasted your time by coming here." Her voice was light, soft, so her mother and brother might not have to know I came today.

    "It's my fault your mother is choosing to leave. I will not let her force you to leave too, not when I know you don't want to. Don't let them bully you, Jo." I kept my voice low too. I may not have cared if Rita knew I was here, but Jo did, so I obliged her by staying quiet.

    "Fine, I don't, but If I don't, I'll have them to constantly worry about. I'll have nightmares of them starving or worse..." She trailed off and sighed. "If I stay, I'm no better off. Not in the long run."

    "It's James your worried about, Isn't it?"

    The look in her eyes revealed my suspicion. "It's not just you I'm here for, Jo. I want to help him, too."

    "He'll follow my mother to the ends of the earth if that was even possible. I know he can be a cruel, arrogant bastard sometimes, but he was my best friend growing up and we look out for each other."

    "Who are you talking to?" James came down the hallway to look over Josephine's shoulder. He bunched his brows when he saw me. "What's going on here?" He was expecting me to answer the question.

    I took a calming breath and said, "I'm here to convince you both to stay."

    He scoffed. "You're the reason our mother wants to leave."

    "Yes, I know that—"

    "And It's because of you that Alpha Torben is seeking an alliance with your father."