42. The King's Fury

Happy Sunday! Hope you all enjoy this update.

✨🌘✨

- Reagan

    I debated for a good minute whether I should attempt to punch Torben in the face and risk having the blonde bodyguard, who was too busy laughing with Asmara behind me, put me down and possibly lock me up for a good while. Fuck, it was tempting. Just to cause him pain and watch his nose bleed while he stared at me in surprise and anger. I'd stare back at him with a smirk, knowing the pain he'd feel at that moment wouldn't even be close enough to the pain and hurt he has caused me.

    I sighed. One could only dream.

    I doubted the silver cuff around my wrist, along with the chains around my wrists and feet, would allow me a good enough hit anyway. He'd most likely hear the chains moving before I could even think of taking him by surprise.

    I sighed again.

    Torben turned, annoyed. "Don't think I don't know what's going on in that head of yours."

    I grinned, teeth flashing. "And what exactly is going on in this head of mine?"

    My grin nearly slipped when his eyes flashed with mischief. Des and Asmara stopped laughing behind us to listen.

    "Why did you think I had you walk behind me, staring at my back when you should never turn your back to an enemy?"

    I humoured him with a now stone face. "Why?"

    "Because I know all the scenarios going through your head and I wanted to tease you with the idea. How you could hurt me if only you could lock your arms over my head and suffocate me with your chains." He was grinning and all I could do was blink and think how I hadn't thought of doing that. Hearing him choke would make me feel better right now.

    "Close," I replied. "My fantasies hadn't become that severe just yet. I was more than happy just to land a hit to your nose and watch it piss blood." I would well enough be on my way to the cells again had we not been on our way to the cave with the stream that brought me here in the first place.

    Only when we were inside that cave, would Torben allow my shackles to come off. And the cuff that had snuffed my senses for days, my hearing and smell taking the brunt of it, and I felt the weakness in my bones and muscles which would surge back to full strength the second it was removed.

    Torben laughed and Asmara said to us both, "Both of you stop it. Or the only person hitting either of you will be me."

    Torben shot his gaze to hers and I knew they were mind-linking. It put me on edge. Torben reluctantly turned and threw over his shoulder, "Count your lucky stars."

    "I'll thank them if your face is within hitting distance when these chains are removed."

    Torben didn't respond but Des came up behind me and I uncomfortably tensed at his hand on my shoulder when he murmured, "You have a death wish, I love it."

    I looked at him over my shoulder, a crooked smile on my lips. "You think I could take him?"

    Asmara was passing me to walk in front with Torben, but she looked at me when she heard me and shook her head with a smile she wished she could hide. "You males are ridiculous."

    Des laughed. "If you had your full strength, I might say you'd stand a chance, but Torben's ruthless. I don't even think your king could stand a chance against that kind of ruthlessness."