57. Weeping On A Battlefield

More action and conflict in this one...

-&-

Enjoy and a happy Halloween. 🎃

✨🌘✨

- Torben

The smell of smoke filled my nostrils, and I could taste it on my tongue, feel it in my lungs as I breathed in. Trees and grass had been scorched by the flames and homes had been destroyed by it.

A handful of civilians had been killed. It was a blessing compared to how many more lives could have been taken if the flames had consumed the entire area, but it hadn't thanks to the soldiers who worked together, gathering water from the lake to put it out.

I looked at the homes, told myself how much worse it could have been as we made our way past, trudging on singed grass. We were meeting Desmond after I mind-linked him to be ready for us and to meet us a few feet from where the lines were being held by the vampires. Where the start of this war was being waged.

Felice made his way to the far opposite side of the territory, where there was a small area that wasn't surrounded by runes and Draven's vampires. It was the only gap where he could sneak past with his men and surprise Draven's army from behind. When he left, he looked more fierce and more determined than I've ever seen him. Aicha was pregnant again and that news made his heart soar but what really made his heart squeeze was when Aicha told him Asmara had protected their pup and that he would be a strong male.

I had never seen his face look so readable, so full of emotion. He had no words and after celebrating briefly with his mate he walked right up to my mate and hugged her. The look of surprise on Asmara's face was expected because Felice had never hugged her before. He hadn't hugged any female that wasn't Aicha but he made sure to put his full gratitude in that hug and whispered 'thank you' to her.

Asmara hugged him back, beyond emotion at what she had been able to give them. She loved them. They were her family now and she had made it possible for them to bring a future member of that family into our worlds.

My mate truly had a gift. A well who gave her life to give it to her and I'd be forever grateful for that miracle.

Aicha had been told to stay behind and she didn't argue. She didn't want to risk the life growing inside her now that she knew she wouldn't lose that life.

I glanced at Asmara who walked beside me. She was a walking weapon and those crimson eyes flamed as she looked around her and took in the destruction. I hated that she had to see what war looked like but there was nothing I could do to make her stay away. She would fight like the rest of us until it was done and finished.

Despite her wearing a chest plate, leg armour and stocked up with as many weapons I could get her to carry, I wish I could have forced her to wear more. Not that it would lesson my worry. I was horrified by the thought of losing her and nothing would make me feel assured of her safety while Draven's army loomed.

I glanced back up to her face and she was watching me as I watched her. She raised a brow and I said, "I think I should have made you wear more armour."

There was a whisper of a smile on her face. "I feel slow and heavy with what I'm being forced to wear now. More will only slow my movements, make me clumsy." She was trying to be funny but there wasn't humour on my face not when her safety was at risk. She sighed, giving up her attempt at humour. "I'll be fine, Torben. I won't leave your side."