25. A Rock and a Hard Place

Enjoy this next chapter everyone! Things are about to get intense.

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

Sitting on the other side of Torben's desk, biting my lip as he stares back at me, I find myself extremely nervous and even a little emotionally confused. I mean, I know I hate him. From the moment he took me away from everything I knew up to the moment I found out we were mates and that he had marked me without my consent, I have loathed his very existence. But now hate is very much on the back burner and more, very intense and taboo, emotions have been brought to the surface.

Everything has now become twisted, my emotions, my life and now my perception of Torben. My wolf, on the other hand, doesn't have a problem with Torben but then why would she, he's her mate and she's grateful that he saved us and allowed our connection to take form. She would do anything to please him. Her thoughts are very much clear in my mind. Mark him. She's prepared to go arse-up for him if he gave her the word and that petrifies me.

For now, at least, I'm in control. And I'm nowhere near ready to give in to these emotions. The mate bond is definitely strong but I hope that I'm strong enough to keep my emotions in check...

...And my actions.

"Do you feel I've given you enough time to process everything?" Torben's voice breaks the silence we've been in for the last few minutes ever since Aicha brought me here.

It's late afternoon and it was only yesterday morning that I woke up to my new and mystifying reality. I had Aicha by my side throughout that time, but of course, we weren't allowed to leave Torben's bedroom because I had already escaped. As I expected, Aicha was a little upset that I got myself in a dangerous situation but she was also very understanding and sympathetic to my reasoning.

She had also been treating me very differently since finding out I'm Torben's mate. She was now treating me like you would someone you look up to and respect but I didn't like it. I wanted her to treat me like an equal and a friend. Exactly like she did before she found out.

I've been staring down at the silver cuff on my wrist, twisting it around thoughtfully. I hadn't realised it had been a long minute until Torben suggested, "Maybe you need longer."

I stop fiddling with the cuff, my eyes flickering back up to meet his. His head is slightly tilted as he assesses my features, wondering what I'm thinking and feeling. I don't want more time to process everything. I've had enough time to think about everything and even though, a part of me is grateful he saved my life, I still feel hurt that I was marked without so much as a warning.

I shake my head slowly, "No, I've had enough time to think about it. It's clear to me now that I don't have any say or control over my own life anymore." I leaned back in my chair, placing both arms on the armrests as I stared off into the corner of the room, not wanting to get caught up in his stare as I commented bitterly, "The moon goddess clearly has it out for me."

"The moon goddess isn't petty, nor does she go out of her way to hurt or upset anyone." I've clearly struck a nerve, Torben taking offence for the way I've just insulted him and the moon goddess simultaneously.

My eyes snap back to him, my features unsympathetic, "What makes you think you can talk for her?"

"The moon goddess gifts us with mates but she doesn't decide how each mate will act or behave because that would be violating free will. So fine be angry with how I am but don't you dare insult, someone, for something they have no control over and who isn't here to defend themselves. If you want someone to blame, blame me." Torben's argument is valid and I respect that he takes full responsibility for his own choices and actions, and I have no issues with blaming him.