54. Let's Get To Work

So sorry for the extremely long wait. I know how annoying it can be to wait for something you're excited about. I do hope I can make it up by giving you this extra long chapter.

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

I had been up half the night. Too many outcomes on how this war would go running through my mind, keeping me awake until light slowly entered the tent.

Torben was sound asleep behind me. He hadn't stirred once. He had exhausted himself to the point he had fallen asleep almost instantly after our meeting with my parents and Tristan. And I was more than happy to let him sleep even though I know we must get ready to leave in less than an hour.

Outside our tent, I could hear our soldiers packing and preparing for our departure and any hope that I could catch at least ten minutes of sleep was made fruitless. Turning to face Torben, whose face was the mask of peace, I leaned into his chest and his scent made me want to curl up beside him and stay here. Why couldn't it be like this for longer? Why did the most precious moments feel like they went so fast and came so rarely?

"Are you watching me sleep, Princess?" Torben's voice was a tired husk that pulled me from my thoughts.

"I was just thinking how shameful it is that we don't get more peaceful moments like these together," I admitted, stroking my finger across his cheek with a wistful smile.

"Soon, Asmara." He said and opened his eyes. They were such a gorgeous rich brown from where he had been asleep. "When this is over, I plan to have these quiet moments with you every morning before we even think to do anything else."

My smile widened and all I could think was how great that would be. How complete my life would feel just to experience that with him every day.

For now, all I could do was steal what time I could with him.

Ten more minutes of me curled up next to him and I had to force myself to move away enough to tell him, "We need to leave. We have thirty minutes to pack what we can before we're scheduled to be on the road."

Torben was awake now, sitting up. "How long did you let me sleep?"

"Longer than I probably should have but you needed it and I couldn't bring myself to wake you."

Torben placed a hand on my hip, my top riding up slightly until he was touching my bare skin and squeezed. I shivered at the pleasure of that small touch as he wrapped an arm around me and brought me toward him. "And how much sleep did you get?"

I knew he'd noticed. If not for the bags under my eyes, then at least by the fact I couldn't stop yawning now and my eyes felt heavy. It was an effort to keep them from drooping, if only to look convincing when I said, "I had enough sleep to get me through today." Maybe he would have brought it if I hadn't had to stifle a yawn halfway.

"You can sleep on my lap on the way home and then I'm having a bath made for you and I want you to rest."

"I don't have the luxury of rest. Not until this is over."

His eyes turned fierce, and I knew he wasn't going to let this go until I had slept and rested until he was satisfied. "I can handle everything for the both of us so don't argue with me on this. You won't be any good if you're falling asleep in the meetings."