50. A Meeting With The In-laws

Happy Father's Day to the men who would do anything for their child. The step dads who stepped up and loved someone's child like their own. To the father's who have passed but are still loved. And to the single mother's who have played both roles beautifully. You're all doing a great job!! 💙

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

I was not frightened.

Not anymore. Not of Torben meeting my parents because I knew my mate could handle himself. Not of my parents refusing this alliance because I knew them and though it didn't seem like it now, a part of me knew they'd accept because they loved me. And they knew the stakes just as much as I did.

So, I wasn't afraid while I waited here with Felice and Aicha on the outskirts of our territory. I wore a formal, crimson gown, elegant but simple, the colour chosen by Torben to bring out my eyes. Not that it was entirely necessary, he had told me.

Strangely, we waited on the opposite side of that cave that, as far as I had known, was the only way to my parent's camp site.

Now I knew that wasn't true.

The cave was a way to cover their scents in and out of my parent's home but there was in fact another a route. A much more complicated and longer route but another way to get to my parents that didn't involve me getting soaking wet. I was angry Torben hadn't told me this sooner. I could have done without having to go in that river when I went to meet my parents, though logic suggests he done it because they wanted to see me with very short notice and this route was easily a few hours trek from here. I still felt bitter thinking about it though.

Torben had opted for this route because hundreds of warriors were to accompany us and you couldn't exactly squeeze them all through that cave effectively, could you? The other reasons behind his decision were because he didn't want us to be vulnerable and surrounded the minute, we exited that cave, and the other was because surprising my parents by showing up somewhere else least expected brought a smile to his face and he wanted to shove my father's nose in it. I think the last reason was the main one.

Aicha's face was the embodiment of excitement. She couldn't wait to meet the famous wolven king she had heard so much about and it had only made me roll my eyes.

"He's nothing special." Felice had said to her when she kept asking what he thought when he met him.

"Your just difficult to impress." She said back to him, which I had to agree with.

He allowed a small smile to blossom at that. "I'll be impressed if he agrees to fight this war with us."

"He will." I allowed myself to say.

They both looked at me. Felice's smile disappeared as he arched his brow and Aicha asked, "I'm not saying he won't but how can you be so sure when he hates us?"

"Hate can be unlearned, and it will be his love for me that will trump his hate in the end. I'm sure of it."

I looked out at the sky and breathed in.

I'm not frightened.

"There he is." Aicha pointed at a carriage making its way to us.

Our transport to my parents' camp. It was luxury on wheels and two horses were pulling it along to us. Wolves surrounded it of various shades of colours and sizes some female and some male. Ezlyn was amongst them. A brown female leading the other females to the right. She nodded her head at me from the distance and I nodded back, grateful for her assistance. Unshifted warriors wore battle armour and had weapons made of silver, walking behind the wolves with fierce expressions, that even I was intimidated by them.