55. A Moment to Grieve

I hope everyone's had a great week so far and I hope everyone enjoys this chapter as we slowly begin to approach the end of the book.

Very slowly LOL!

✨🌘✨

- Torben

Two weeks had come and gone.

So fast had time slipped through our fingertips while we were distracted by all the preparations that we had set in motion for this war.

I, alongside Adrenous and Tristan, had trained our soldiers until they were at the peak of exhaustion. Tristan's vampires had complied with sharing all traits, weaknesses, strengths shared amongst vampires. And in return, the wolvens and rogues did the same.

It wouldn't only benefit the wolvens and rogues who were expected to fight against the vampires. It would also help them fight alongside vampires, as well as help the vampires fight alongside them. Where vampires or wolvens had a weakness, the others could anticipate this and take charge. It would strengthen our armies tenfold.

And thanks to Tristan, the vampires had taken up the night watch. A few sightings had been spotted and it would soon go back to Draven that I had vampires fighting with me, however, Adrenous and his people had stayed well inside my territory. The alliance between Adrenous and I would stay a secret until we finally made a move against Draven.

Felice, Ezlyn, and Desmond had all been allocated soldiers to train, to ensure the soldiers were ready for everything that Draven may plan to throw at them.

And when the time comes for us to make our move, Des will surround Asmara with his group for protection. That's if her training goes well.

Every day she had relentlessly trained with her mother, and I couldn't lie, she had come a long way, considering how knew it all still was for her.

She had been too determined to practise her magic and I'd been so busy working with Adrenous and Tristan that we had barely seen each other. I was lucky to even steal a few words with her or a kiss and we were both exhausted.

When the time came to finally get some sleep, I'd find her already passed out and mealtimes didn't give us chances to catch up either. I didn't have time to sit and eat and had to take mine to go and I knew she was doing the same against my wishes. I had expressed I wanted her fed properly but Aicha shared with me that Asmara refused to stop for even a moment.

Now I stand at the entry to the training rooms, watching my princess freeze a female wolven mid-attack. Her legs are in motion, her foot just inches away from Asmara's chest. The young warrior looks at Asmara, surprised and in awe.

Asmara manages to hold her there for several minutes without even breaking a sweat before she sides steps to the side and relinquishes her hold on magic.

The girl goes flying into the padded floor, laughing, and applauding her Luna on a job well done.

A swell of pride fills my chest and it's not until Asmara turns and catches me in the doorway that I realise how much I'm smiling.

"Torben." She was both delighted and surprised to see me and when she ran into my arms, I hugged her tightly before I reluctantly released her. "What are you doing here? I thought you had an army to prepare?"

"I did but then I was told how badly my mate was neglecting her health." I watched her face carefully, saw her face fall and the exhaustion show in her crimson eyes and in the way her arms slumped slightly.