28. This Won't Work Without Trust

We haven't had Torben's perspective for a while so here you all go.

This chapter still needs some work so keep that in mind. 🙂

Hope you like this chapter.

✨🌘✨

- Torben

"Vampire sightings are becoming a little more frequent. Their scents still linger hours after they leave and still, I haven't found the female who attacked Asmara. It's like she's hiding. Perhaps even staying inside to avoid running into us again— especially after what we did to the male."

Felice hates failure— or at the very least, not being able to kill someone who hurt one of his own. And that's what Asmara is to him now. One of his own. One of all of us. Well, at least she will be very soon.

Felice is wearing his fighting gear today, black trousers, a heavy shirt made from almost impenetrable fabric and a belt around his waist where two silver daggers are currently resting. His dark skin is coated in sweat and dirt. He's had to take up searching for the female vampire for longer durations of time in hopes it will increase our chances of finding her. But still no luck.

I clench my jaw and draw in a deep breath. Felice is waiting for my response as he sits on the other side of my desk, knowing his report isn't what I wanted to hear. Not when I'm in the middle of trying to arrange the mating ceremony between me and my mate in a little less than two weeks.

For three days since I took Asmara to mine and my mother's cave, she's been wearing that necklace every day since. Just seeing it out in the open instead of collecting dust in my draw brings a smile to my lips every time. Seeing it glow for me to see again reminds me of times I would see it when I was little. When my mother would hug me and her necklace would dangle and I would admire how pretty it was.

I hope Asmara's eagerness to wear it is a reflection of her openness for our future alliance. Her acceptance that this is where she belongs, that the moon goddess paired us for a reason beyond what we could hope to understand.

She might not accept me personally but I'm pleased with the progress.

And now this news... It's clawing at my plans.

Another visit to Draven may be necessary. I could disguise my intentions while trying to suss out the female.

'They're clearly planning something in the shadows," I note out loud. My claws are showing as anger travels through me. I would rather have my anger show than the fear I feel beneath because admitting I'm afraid is a weakness I can't afford. Afraid that my mate could potentially be vulnerable to an attack from Draven's runes and vampires.

He wants her badly and I saw it the second he knew I had her.

"That little brat was claimed by me long ago and now it appears you have taken something that's mine."

His words echo back to me and I clench my hands harder. I wanted to kill him so fucking bad but I knew that would be a mistake, that I was smack in the middle of his territory, and that I would have to move carefully. 

Asmara is my mate, not his, and I can sense the fight before me. The fight for her, to keep her away from someone who's already hurt her enough. And I'm so fucking afraid. Even with her wolf connected, it scares me how vulnerable and unprotected she is.