3. Predator and Prey

I'd like to thank everyone for being patient for this update and I hope you like this chapter.

-&-

Warning! This scene might be a little triggering and uncomfortable so please be cautious when reading.

Asmara: 10
Wyatt: 8
Reagan: 11
Cammie: 13

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

A light summer breeze enters my bedroom through the open window, picking up the loose strands of my hair that escaped my ponytail.

I can hear my brother laughing, my bedroom door left ajar as I sit on my bed, leaning against the headboard as I read a book that my mum brought me for my tenth birthday.

"What are you doing?" I ask as soon as I see my brother past my doorway with one of his friends.

I listen to him backtrack, he's wearing a black long sleeve top with grey trousers covering his black boots. His black hair curls up at the ends as he leans against my door frame. He answers, "Me and the boys are going outside to play tag."

"That sounds like fun, can I come?" I ask, placing my book down to sit up on my bed. Wyatt shrugs, his eyes shifting to the floor as if he's afraid of hurting my feelings.

Does he not want me to play with him?

He used to love playing with me when he was little. What's changed?

"If you don't want me to then tell me." I sigh, a little hurt that my own brother doesn't want me to join him.

"It's not that I don't want you to come..." He trails off, trying to phrase his next words carefully before telling me, "It's just that only boys are playing and I just don't want you to get hurt."

I frown.

Ever since I broke my ankle four years ago, everyone has been afraid to hurt me. My ankle had taken long to heal, much longer than it should take the average Wolven. More proof that I'm not as strong as everyone else.

However, I refused to stay weak, joining my dad and brother to training sessions. I had gotten better at fighting and I'm a lot stronger than when I was six.

"You don't have to worry, Wyatt, I promise." I assure him and finally smile when he nods his head, allowing me to join him and his friends. I step down from my bed and grab my black boots, my white trousers covering them once their tied around my feet.

Me and Wyatt step outside, I look around and see his friends playing in the distance on the other side of the lake. I can see Reagan is with them, he's wearing black trousers with a white short sleeve top, his arms fairly toned for his age. Wyatt walks ahead as I follow, enjoying the smell of the recently bloomed flowers as they surround the two fields separated by the lake.

When me and Wyatt cross the bridge, Wyatt runs towards them and greets his friends, including Owen. Owen still picks on me but ever since he challenged me to climb that tree, he avoids me most of the time. Owen is now fourteen, his body quite muscular from training, his six pack on display since he's not wearing a shirt.