40. I'm All Yours

Another chapter milestone was reached!

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Torben

Asmara walked out of the building, and she looked tired and pale.

She didn't say a word as I watched her. Lent against the side of the building, shoulders tensed and ears alert in case I got any inkling she wanted me to come and get her.

I didn't manage to capture any of their conversations because of how deep Reagan's cell was in the building, but I wasn't planning on eavesdropping anyway. I knew she needed to speak to him privately because my presence was too complicating, and it made it harder for her to explain herself. Still, any hint that something was wrong, and I would have known. I would have been down there in seconds.

Asmara brushed her hair back and lifted her face to breath in the cold, fresh air, expelling any hint of the putrid smell that lay inside the cells.

She had been down there for two hours.

I guess that's how long it took for her to bring everything out into the open. To get everything off her chest.

Just seeing the way, they looked at each other when I was down there with her... I knew their feelings for each other had ran deep.

And when she told him she still loved him, it cut deep. Deeper than I would have liked. Perhaps it was because I had only confessed those feelings to her last night, and she still hadn't said them back. But I wasn't emotionally immature, and I knew she needed time to confess any feelings like that back to me.

I could be patient.

I would be patient.

I leaned off the wall and she turned to look at me, her lips pulled into a frown while I walked towards her and wrapped my arms around her, pulling her into me before I placed light kissed into her hair.

She relaxed into me, like my very touch drew out all the stress and tension from her muscles.

"I wasn't expecting it to be so hard," She admitted. "I know you said I wasn't ready, and I think you may have been right. Seeing them again, with everything that's changed and trying to bring both sides together..." She sighed and nuzzled further into my chest, trying to shake the dread she was feeling.

"We both knew this wasn't going to be easy, but you're not doing it on your own. I'm right here. Every step of the way." I tightened my hold on her to emphasise my point.

She lifted her chin and I held her gaze, still breathless from the beauty of her eyes, even when they held the weight of the world in them.

"Thank you. You've made all this so much easier."

I smiled. "That's what I'm here for."

"What are we going to do with them?" She asked, her eyes shifting to the building, like she could see straight through, where her friends were still caged and angry..

"We don't need to discuss that right now. You've been through enough stress this morning." I told her. She looked like she was ready to go hide in a dark place. Where she could forget her problems. Perhaps a distraction would help. I could take her around the pack with me, testing the precautions we had around the borders, far from her issues. We'd still need to be careful, but I had quite a few rogues on the borders, so I'd be the first to know if there was a threat.