8. Like Old Times

Hey guys, I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Asmara: 14
Wyatt: 12
Reagan: 15
Cammie: 17

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

"I thought we killed most of the rogues in the war. How can they still be a threat?" I wonder curiously as I sit opposite my mother in the study. The table we occupy is filled with all sorts of books about rogues, my mum deciding that I should learn about them for my benefit and the benefit of the pack.

My mother pulls her cobalt irises away from the open book In front of her to give me a disapproving look, "Don't think so foolishly, Asmara. Rogues will always be a threat to our peace as long as they exist..." She pauses a moment before adding, "And they will always exist."

I've never even seen a rogue and apparently there haven't been any signs of them since my dad killed their alpha. "But we haven't had an attack in years." I challenge unintentionally, trying more so to voice my scepticism towards learning about them.

Is it really necessary?

"Perhaps," My mum smiles, silently admiring my need to challenge her, understanding that it's how I choose to learn about the world around me and she takes no offence to it. She continues, "However, we should always be prepared. Arif and Tristan spent years trying to track the remaining rogues down but found no trail. They hid well, clearly learning from their mistakes. That gives us the disadvantage and it's one we have to consider and take on board when weighing them as a threat."

"Maybe they just left," I guess but this time my mum shakes her head.

"I doubt it," She says, not believing that at all, "Cohen had a son and I doubt he would have just left. I believe he's planning revenge for his father's death."

"Then someone should explain to him what a monster his father was," I conclude, "then he won't want revenge and we can avoid another war."

My mother's eyes soften, cherishing the small innocence I posses as it drives me to want to find the most peaceful solution but I'm still a child and blind to most evils. She knows it when she has to admit to me, "That won't change anything. When we love someone, we create an illusion around them, one that only lets us see the good in them. Cohen's son saw his father as a good man, to him it's your father who's evil."

"Oh..."

I furrow my brows when I watch my mother's features shift suddenly, her eyes going out of focus. I'm used to this by now, understanding that someone is currently mind linking her.

When her eyes finally focus in again, I can see she needs to leave urgently, "I have to go." She tells me, "But, here." She pushes the open book towards me and I grasp it before it can fall of the table, "Read this while I'm gone."

"Okay," I respond lazily, my focus already on the book. I barely hear the door close when my mother leaves, reading the book with fascination.

What are Rogues?

Rogues are extremely dangerous because of their unpredictable and aggressive nature.

They don't follow traditional Wolven laws, choosing to behave any way they see fit, threatening other packs in the process.