58. We Were Living with An Enemy

This is a short chapter but I hope you enjoy it anyway!

Warning: this chapter ends on a cliffhanger...

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Torben

    "Torben!"

    My consciousness was barely there when I heard my name being called. The voice felt like a million miles away as I fought to wake but my body was struggling to respond. Then pain, like I'd never felt pierced through my skull and it was so painful that my body responded with a groan from my lips.

    Movement around me increased when they could hear I was waking up. Then someone was squeezing my face and it caused me to growl from the pain it caused in my skull. My eyes flew open and I saw Ezlyn assessing me, she released my face and said to someone outside of my sight, "He'll live."

    I wanted to snarl at her but my head was throbbing. Felice was then beside me, helping me to sit up. "Easy. We don't want you to pass out again."

   I headed his warning only because I was already starting to feel dizzy. I paused for a moment and just sat there, trying to recall what the hell happened to me. How the fuck did I end up here?

    Asmara! Where the fuck was she?

    I tried to stand but felt restriction from Felice's hand pressing down on my shoulders to keep me there. "Felice, let me up now," I demanded with urgency.

    "You stand and you'll hit the ground again. Hard. Just relax for a moment, you've been hit badly." His hands stayed on my shoulders, knowing I'm stubborn.

    "Asmara. Where is she?" I ask through clenched teeth as I tried to stifle the pain in my fucking head.

I could barely take in my surroundings but I knew it was daylight by the way the light hurt my eyes every time I blinked them open. And I was still filthy and covered in blood sitting in the midst of a giant bloodbath which was last night's battlefield. I finally looked around and all I could see were dead bodies. They were everywhere. Some are ours but most are Draven's soldiers.

Smoke no longer danced in the air but the smell of it lingered and the grass and many bodies were blackened from the destruction the fires caused.

    "Desmond has her. I saw him carrying her away before we managed to get control of the battle with Adrenous' help. When Draven's soldiers saw they were losing, they began to retreat. Adrenous took our armies back home to rest and plan our next move." Ezlyn is soaked in red and black blood and there's some caked around her mouth. The number of soldiers she must have ripped apart with her fangs during battle must have been a lot. And she doesn't wipe it away so we know what she's capable of.

    "Where did Des take her?" I need to see my mate, to know that she really made it through all this.

    Unsettling surprise crosses her face. "You mean you don't know?"

    My temper explodes. "Why the fuck would I know?!"

    Felice shares Ezlyn's uncertainty and states, "Because he told us that you gave him orders to take her to a safe location should things get out of hand."

    I squeezed my eyes together to push the pain aside. I knew well that I never gave that order so why did Desmond lie?

    "What direction was he heading with her." I looked at Ezlyn. She's the one who last saw them.

    "East, into the woods."

    This time I'm beyond angry. I burst out of Felice's hold and stand, and fuck does it hurt but my eyes remain searing into Ezlyn's. "Why the fuck did you let him take her that way?"

    She winces at my tone, her eyes going wide. "I-I...I didn't think about it. I just thought he was following your orders."

    I growl and then another explosion of pain smashes through my skull and with it comes pieces of memory.

    I'm standing on the battlefield and smoke is everywhere, smothering us all. Asmara was behind me, struggling to breathe and I needed to get her out of there but more and more vampires came and I fought to slaughter every single one of them.

    I spotted Desmond fighting a few feet away and he came over to me. He was coming to help me because the vampires were coming at us like rabid animals. He screamed something and I couldn't make it out. Before I knew it I was in the midst of fighting again, vampires are coming in from all around and he was beside me. When I manage to slaughter all of them I go to face him, wondering why he didn't once swing his sword and give me a hand but before I can even look at him, I hear the words, "I'm sorry," before something hits the back of my head and I go crashing down.

    My wolf is growling in outrage and I said, "Desmond did this to me."

    Ezlyn looked like she wasn't sure she heard me right. "What do you mean?"

    I snarled. "The bastard fucking knocked me out and now he has Asmara."

    Felice's face shifted with hurt and anger.

    We all trusted him.

   Ezlyn asked the question I was so afraid of. "Where has he taken her?"

✨🌕✨

Where do you think Des took Asmara?

And why?

Please don't forget to vote, comment and follow me on here and on Instagram for future updates and book recs....