31. Is This The Bond or Something Else?

Enjoy!

✨🌘

- Asmara

    I woke up this morning, not surprised to find Torben sleeping soundlessly beside me. A bad headache had me remembering all the events of last night. How we argued, yelled and then kissed...

    Goddess, that kiss was something else. I had never felt anything like it in my entire life. As guilty as it makes me feel, even Reagan didn't make me feel like that. With Torben, there was so much heat and passion. I could still feel his strong arms around my body, his hand on my wrist as he turned me around and pressed his lips to mine. It was just so right.

    We crossed a line last night and I don't think we'll ever be able to uncross it.

    Before Torben could wake up, I quickly got dressed and headed out. I still needed to figure out if my feelings for Torben were just the bond or something else. I had no doubt they were genuine but I still struggled with the thought of the bond forcing these feelings on me. Torben could argue all he wanted but even he was a servant to the bond. Without it, I would already be dead by now.

    I saw Josephine outside, hanging laundry out in the sun. It had been weeks since I talked to her and I could have really done with having a friend. The second she saw me, she passed the clothes to another girl and walked away from me. I stood there watching, unable to keep the frown from my face. She barely even gave me an apologetic glance before she was disappearing into the crowd.

    What had her mother told her about me that suddenly made her avoid me like the plague? I made a mental note right then to speak to Rita about this when I got the chance.

    Now, alone and spread out on a floor of grass at the edge of Torben's territory, I looked to the sky for answers. Ridiculous, I know. It was still cold out, the leaves beginning to turn a molten orange, red and dreary brown before falling to the floor. Soon we'd be met with snow and moments of laying on the grass or looking up at the clear sky would be near impossible without freezing to death.

    I breathed in deep, savouring the cold, fresh air. If I closed my eyes I could almost pretend I was back home. My brother would come and lay beside me, complaining about his training with our dad and I would tell him how worth it, it will be in the end. Now that I'm not there, who does he look to for guidance?

    Were they still out there looking for me? Had my father ripped apart the estate with rage? Did my mother sob long into the night, wondering if her baby was still alive? Or my brother, who was becoming my best friend. Did he beg our father to let him help and look for me?

    Tears brimmed my eyes. Just a week and a few days and me and Torben would become one. And then we'd make a move to bridge an alliance with my family. But what would they think of the daughter who sided with the enemy? Even if it was just to protect them. I think the one male who I'm terrified of finding out the truth the most is Reagan.

    Goddess, please let him learn to forgive me. Our stars were never aligned and we were never going to have a happy ending. Did he still hate me for ending it with him? Did he blame me for getting him hurt? Or think me foolish of getting myself captured?

    I missed them so much.

    I tighten my cloak around myself at the thought. As if a sliver of warmth could offer me the slightest bit of comfort. It's still early hours of the morning and Torben is most likely still asleep, none the wiser that I'm out here alone. Though, not entirely alone. There are still guards and trackers posted and scattered around the border. Some watch me when they think I'm not looking.