48. Your Mate Will Be Everything

Have a good weekend and enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

    I had done it.

    I had faced my parents, told them everything, despite what they may have thought of me, and they had taken it all in. And still accepted a meeting.

    Tomorrow, Torben and I would travel to their camp, and we'd finally have our meeting. Our one shot at peace, and my goddess, I pray we don't waste it.

    Through dinner, my parents refused to speak of the meeting, wouldn't reveal what topics they'd bring up, what compromises they might consider. I didn't push. Not when they had accepted to speak with Torben at all.

    Instead, they asked Felice questions, he was inclined to keep his mouth shut, but instead gave them boring, useless answers in return. Nothing of his home, pack or information that they may use against them if this meeting didn't go as planned.

    My father eyed Felice with a dark, unforgiving look. Still not looking at me and when I tried to speak to him, he gave me dead, flat answers. Time. He still needed time to forgive me. My mother tried to lighten the mood, moved onto things like my wolf that could now be sensed by theirs.

    I explained her existence, how Torben and my wolf saved my life. It finally made my father look at me, a sadness in his gaze that he struggled to voice. My mother's eyes watered, and I wanted so much to tell her that in those moments between life and death, I saw her beloved friend. But I'd wait until we were alone, when this meeting was over and the weight of it was gone.

    My parents walked us back to that cave, my mother hugged me goodbye, and Felice and my father remained at the side-lines. I looked to my father, wanting so badly to hug him, but I didn't.

    "Have your mate prepare for the meeting." Was all he said, the word 'mate' spoken with distaste.

    I sighed and nodded my reply.

    Back beneath the freezing water that I had been dreading, I had removed my cloak to avoid added weight in the hopes I could swim faster and push myself through the current. But I didn't anticipate the water reaching a new kind of cold that had my muscles locking up. Despite my best efforts to swim with all my strength, Felice had to help me through the harsh currents, gripping my bicep to pull me along, even while I furiously tried to push myself to the limit.

    A few inches from the surface and I gave up. Felice had to haul my upper body out of the water and dragged me to the edge. Arms were waiting for me, and unfaltering strength pulled me out of the water. I didn't have the strength to lift my head, and still I recognised my mates touch, the way the warmth of his body wrapped around me, and his arms pulled my body closer into his chest.

    My feet touched solid ground and he held me to stop me from collapsing. "Here," He whispered softly, wrapping a dry, fur cloak around my shoulders.

    Water dripped onto the cave floor when Felice dragged himself out of the water. "She tired herself out trying to swim through the current, even when I was doing it for her. Silly she-wolf."

    I huffed in return without the strength to speak and Torben couldn't hold back his laugh. I finally looked at his face and he brushed my cheek. I noted his blood-shot eyes from lack of sleep. "It's because she's furiously independent, aren't you, princess?"

    "Always has been." Wyatt said through a yawn, leaning his body weight on the wall of the cave and struggling to keep his eyes open.

    I looked between them. "Have you two not slept either?"