53. Preparing For Peace

I'm still not 100% happy with this chapter but I didn't want to keep you all waiting. I do plan to edit this chapter more in the future.

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

    I watched the skies above as the clouds cleared and a trickle of sunlight finally filtered out and brought light to my father's camp.

    It was a good sign. One I hoped would bring us luck when I spotted my father's tent and we made our way towards it, preparing for the last meeting of the day and then we'd be heading home, this time with more soldiers and an ally that could bring us a grand victory in this war.

    Torben held my hand. A solid united front, completely loyal to one another, willing to fight and claw our way through this world if that's what it will take to protect each other, and death would be no exception.

    My hair blew with the wind, unkempt and messy as were my clothes. Torben's attire was the same after what occurred in the cave, and we didn't care. We'd worry about bathing, eating, and sleeping once we were home, and we had the full force of our allies with us.

    Guards moved to let us into my father's tent, their noses twitching. We were covered in each other's scent and the fact they could sense what we did merely an hour ago brought a satisfied grin to Torben's face. I was mortified and avoided their stares as we passed and regretted skipping a bath before we headed straight here.

    You're blushing. Torben's voice was an amused purr in my mind.

    Everyone can smell what we did. I'm mortified.

    His hand tightened in mine. No one will say a word about it. If they do, I'll rip their tongue from their throats.

    I grimaced. I heard rumour my father did that once. He ripped the tongue right out of King Krellin's mouth before he was killed. Hearing about it is one thing but to actually see it...

    There's no need for that sort of violence. Peace is the goal today, remember?

    I remember. It's a shame though, it's a lot less fun. His eyes looked down at me, filled with mischief that made me nervous.

    I knew he would behave because he wouldn't risk losing our chance, but I still couldn't help feeling nervous at his implications. I was wound too tight and as soon as this was over, I wouldn't be able to release that nervous energy.

    "Asmara. Torben." My father acknowledged us both once we were inside his tent. His posture tensed at the sight of Torben after what he told him and the fight that broke out between them. He was also relieved to see he'd come back and without that vengeful rage in his eyes. "Please take your seat, we've been waiting."

    My father moved awkwardly when we approached, not meeting my gaze and when I saw my mother trying to hide the suspicion from hers, I knew they had an inkling as to why we were so late.

    My face heated as we took our seats and Torben touched my cheek, silently telling me not to care. And so, I sat up straight in my chair and faced them, pretending to be clueless to what they now knew. Even as my father glared in Torben's direction. 

    "Victor is on his way; I brought my meeting with him forward so we could get it over with before our departure tomorrow. Another guest will also be joining us." My father hadn't stopped glaring at Torben, but his voice sounded calm and unaffected.