39. My First Love

Prepare yourselves.

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

    - Asmara

    I approached the bars of Reagan's cell, taking in the state of him.

   I took in the overgrown hair, the facial stubble that had begun to appear. His hollow cheekbones and the dark bags beneath his eyes. The sleepless nights he must have endured to try and find me. Looking for me, while I had been falling for someone else.

Falling for his enemy.

    He stepped further into the candlelight where I could see more of him. His clothes were damp and filthy like the others. The fabric ripped with dried patches of blood staining his clothes and skin. The only proof that he had earned himself a few wounds during his fight with Felice and his warriors. His skin itself, though dirty and sweaty, was fully healed thanks to his fast healing abilities.

    But his mind... I could tell from his ravaged face, the pain and such exhaustion that lingered in his green eyes... that mentally it would take months, years to heal the wounds that lay there.

    Torben was still standing beside me. Felice left after Torben told him, if Reagan gets out of hand, he'd handle it himself. The obvious silver cuff on Reagan's wrist didn't take a genius to realise he was weak and his wolf was dormant for the time being. I noticed it the moment Reagan gripped the metal bars and spoke my name a second time.

    "I'm sorry, Reagan. I never meant for any of this to happen." I went to take a step closer but Torben pulled me back, preventing me from taking another step forward.

    Torben's wolf had come forward, his possessive instincts taking the control of his mind and actions. His eyes were dark and on Reagan, who looked at him and didn't back down. Two powerful males refusing to give in to the other. I had to give it to Reagan, he had balls to stare an alpha down, considering his situation.

    I spoke softly to Torben, "I need to speak to him. He won't hurt me. Trust me."

    Torben's eyes softened and flickered to mine.

    Reagan's broken voice spoke from behind me and made me shudder. "I hurt you? Are you being fucking serious?!" He gave Torben a death stare and screamed, "You took her against her will! You stole her away from her family and killed a few of our own and yet you think I'm the threat?" He growled and gripped the bars harder. "You fucking bastard!"

    Torben stood his ground and didn't say a word, though his wolfish eyes and the clenching of his fists made it clear he wanted to argue back. Instead, he flared his nostrils and took in a deep breath while I stared wide-eyed at an angry Reagan. I'd never seen him so angry.

"He didn't—" I started but was instantly cut off.

"Why are you defending him?" He snapped.

I stepped closer, Torben fighting the urge to stop me, and almost immediately Reagan broke away from the bars. He looked at me like I had just slapped him, eyes hurt and nostrils flared.

"No...no..." He murmured continuously.

I didn't understand what was going on. Or why he was murmuring to himself like he couldn't believe what he was seeing...

    ...Or smelling.

"Reagan?"

"His scent..." He looked devastated and couldn't look at me. It was like he was struggling to believe what was right in front of his face. Or rather he didn't want to believe it. He didn't want to speak because he didn't want it to be true, but nonetheless he finished the sentence. "...It's all over you." His body was trembling with rage and he erupted, body crashing into the bars as his knuckles wrapped around the metal until they were beyond pale white. "What the fuck did you do to her?!" I'd hate to think what he'd try to do if he was at full strength.