30. Too Much Wine... Again

Hitting that thirty mark now! It feels so good to have so much of this story written. There's still a while to go but I thank you all for your support.

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

    This is incredible.

Torben was right about the rogues being wild.

Through the forest, they were brutal on their paws. They moved in and out of the trees, bumping into each other violently to gain speed on their pack members as they raced towards the grasslands.

Torben kept us ahead. He was quicker, swifter and smoother on his paws. I gripped his fur tightly between my fingers. The wolves around us were brutal but Torben didn't let them get close. It was difficult to stay upright on his back but I knew Torben wasn't going to let me fall.

Scared yet?

His voice infiltrated my mind, a teasing caress that had my wolf purring. I grinned and shook my head, the wind flying through my hair, my cloak and thick clothes keeping the cold air out as I thrived in its touch on my face. "This is the freest I've ever felt!" I shout in pure bliss.

Looks like you proved me wrong, Princess.

I grinned. The wind continued to rustle my hair and I closed my eyes, savouring this feeling, wanting it imprinted in my mind for years to come. I'm not sure if this is the first and last time I'll ever get to do this. Goddess knows I'll never be able to do it of my own accord. My nose tingles with the smell of the damp forest floor. Of tree sap and moist fresh air.

Through the forest, we travelled. It had been hours since we left and I could feel my eyes begin to droop. I lent further into Torben's wolf, his fur radiating warmth. I lent my cheek against his fur and sighed in comfort. Trees continued to pass and Torben kept up speed as I began to doze.

Dozing soundly, I think my body felt eyes on me because it woke me. Through sleepy eyes, I could swear I saw something move through the woods. Not a wolf but definitely not human. I shot up, now wide awake, and scanned the woods. The rogues were still violently racing, a few stumbling from the impact of being rammed into. They rose, snarled and continued running. But still no sign of what I swear I could see.

Is everything alright? My sudden movement had Torben worried.

"I thought I saw something but It's just my sleepy eyes tricking me." I'm sure it was nothing. Being half-asleep made me think I saw things plenty of times before. I relax back down and rest my cheek back against his fur. I couldn't help but grip his fur even tighter for comfort.

Oh, is someone tired already?

No shit, genius.

I make a groan of displeasure.

Don't worry, we'll reach the grasslands soon. I don't miss the amusement in those words. I hate how much he enjoys teasing me.

I loosed a breath. How long was soon?

I guess twenty minutes was pretty soon. The closer we neared the grasslands, the trees began to scatter further and further apart until we were breaking the tree line. It was midnight now and the grasslands that stretched out beyond were gorgeous.