29. I Want To See Your Wolf

Here's another chapter! As you can see the writing format is a little different and I personally think this style looks better. Let me know your thoughts on this!

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

let your inner wolf free.

Torben's words to me two days ago keep repeating themselves as if re-encouraging me to do just that.

At first, I was sceptical, looking over my shoulder when I made it to that cave. Expecting to feel an inkling that he was still watching me, waiting for me to do anything that goes against the bargain we made.

But he wasn't there, and to my relief, I walked through the cave, feeling weightless with the silver cuff now gone. My wolf revelling in her freedom. Though not quite what she wanted, it was better than being suppressed by the weight of that cuff.  Already enthralled by our mate, she was even more dazzled by him. Her trust was easy to earn, her heart already his to keep, but I wasn't so easily brought.

    But I couldn't expect him to show me an ounce of trust without me doing the same. So, for the last two days that I've been letting my 'inner wolf out'—training, fighting, exploring the woods— I've stopped looking over my shoulder, trusting that he's keeping his word, too.

    Torben kept his distance, allowing me to explore everything alone. I noticed there were fewer eyes on me even though I didn't fail to notice an increase in border patrols and even more rogue fighters and trackers disappearing for a few days at a time. I assumed it was something to do with the vampires who hurt me but I wasn't ready to ask Torben about that. I was just happy they weren't watching me closely.

    It allowed me to feel more free and I knew Torben clearly told them that I was to be trusted from now on and it ignited emotions I didn't want to feel for him. I hated them but I couldn't deny what was right in front of my face.

    I was falling for him.

    And it had crept up on me. No matter how hard I wanted to deny it, lie to myself over and over again, I was starting to like his presence. I enjoyed talking to him. Fuck, I loved fighting with him and now even my traitorous body yearned to be touched by him, to feel him close. 

    It's why, with him keeping his distance, I haven't sought him out. Because I'm afraid and I don't want him to see the give in me. That slowly, I'm starting to surrender to the bond. And it's because that through everything, I'm still determined not to mark him. I want him punished for everything he's forcing. But in doing so, I'm punishing myself too. And it hurts. Torben has a part of me, a connection that allows him to feel my deepest emotions. It allows him to have a sliver of my soul. But I'll never have his.

    Breaking the tree line, I'm back from a day of strolling through the woods, trying to come to terms with what I'm feeling. The air is nippier now with the sun slowly disappearing, which Is why I'm grateful I opted for a thick jumper, thick trousers and a warm cloak. They kept the majority of the cold air at bay.

    In the distance, I see a small crowd gathering around Torben's home. A young rogue heading that way catches my gaze as he goes past and I quickly call over to him, "Excuse me?" He stops in his tracks and turns to face me, "What's going on over there?"