45. I'll See You In The Morning

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Torben 

I walked Asmara to that cave, teeth clenched and wolf straining to take control. To not send her back into Adrenous and Alivia's grasp. I thought him all the way there and he growled at me, thrashed and fought hard but I wouldn't yield to what he wanted, and he hated me for it.

If this was to go wrong today, if Alivia and Adrenous refused to give Asmara back to me, her rightful mate, then my wolf would never forgive me. He'd blame me until I died and with all my certainty, I would be forced to step down as Alpha and give the role to Felice, because I would no longer be in a fit state to lead. Either that, or I'd be forced into such a fit of rage, I'd go to war with the wolven king and take back my mate by force.

I know which one I'd prefer.

All the possible scenarios I could think of entered my mind a million miles per second as we walked, and without realising I had brought her closer to my side. She must have noticed I was worried because she didn't question me on it or demand that I allow her to walk on her own two feet.

I could feel her shivering—from fear or cold—I didn't know. Perhaps another reason why she didn't argue about my hold on her. She was wrapped in layers, but it was freezing tonight and even I had to refrain from shivering, despite my body's natural warmth and the cloak over my shoulders. She hadn't slept all night and day and tonight would be no different. I could tell she was exhausted but she wasn't going to let it stop her.

Desmond, Reagan, and Felice walked behind us, and even Aicha had chosen to join.

Desmond was here for the purpose of keeping an eye on Reagan. For his bravery and choice to help me and Asmara I had extended his privileges. He was free to roam the pack and even join Desmond for extra training, however I had all guards watching him. And Desmond, specifically was charged with staying with him twenty-four seven. I don't think he was particularly pleased with having to babysit him and if that was the case, he didn't say a word to confirm it. He simply took on the role with no rebuttal. Wolven's like that were a rare find and I'd have to share my admiration and thanks with him at some point.

Felice was here as a giant favour to me. I had asked that of him at the meeting and he had agreed. Though now, with his eyes constantly shifting to Aicha warily, maybe he was regretting his choice. If that was the case, I'd have to find someone else just as trusting.

I was surprised to see Aicha out and about. I was sure she'd choose to stay home for weeks after what happened with her would-be pup. But here she was, smiling, eyes bright as she came to say goodbye and good luck to Asmara. She was so kind and welcoming to my mate, that I was happy Asmara had Aicha as a friend.

After minutes of walking in silence, Asmara tilted her chin to look up at me as we walked. When I noticed her stare she asked, "Can you promise me you'll look after my little brother while I'm gone? He can be a little difficult sometimes and—" She stopped when I started smiling. "What?"

"Do you really think I'd risk losing your trust and love by hurting your brother? But since your worried, my plans for tonight are to invite him to have dinner with me. It would be nice to get to know one of your relatives that I have no quarrel with... yet." I smirked down at her and she seemed surprised.

Her brows had drawn together slightly, a little bit sceptical. "You want to have dinner with Wyatt?"

"Is that so hard to believe?"

She shrugged and quickly said, "I don't know. I thought you'd have him contained the same way you had Reagan and the others contained."

I gave her a look that said good point. "Yes, but they had infiltrated my borders. Your brother is coming here in exchange for my assurance that you'll be brought back to me. I don't think I'll win any favours with your parents if I send him back and he tells them 'The mean rogue locked me up and refused to feed me.'" Asmara laughed at my impersonation of a whiny little boy. "At least my way, I might be able to give him a good impression he can relay back to your parents."