57(PC) - Daniel Ricciardo (P2)

'What if I say I will never surrender?'

I sat in the waiting room, I let Brit accompany Gabi into the delivery suite. I didn't want to be in there. Babies and children didn't appeal to me and seeing something give birth didn't tick any boxes. My eyes were on my phone, my head tilting to the side as I calmly checked social media. I knew the race was over, I knew the interviews were done and Daniel would be well aware of my whereabouts. I wondered if he was coming to the hospital, he could even be on the way right now. 

"Gin," I heard his voice which caught my attention. 

Looking up, I locked my phone as I stared at him standing in the doorway of the waiting room. "I didn't know if you'd come," I said as I tried to play it cool. "You didn't have to, she's got Brit in there. I think she's going to be okay."

Daniel walked towards me before sitting on the chair beside me. "I love you," he reached for my hands but I kept them to myself. 

"I know you're cheating on me," the words slipped from my mouth. I knew we should have had this conversation before now but I didn't know how to. 

He looked shocked, his eyes were wide as he put his hands on his lap in front of him looking away from me. The fact that he was silent was enough to confirm it. 

Turning my head, I examined his profile. I had always found myself to be madly in love with him. "Why?"

He looked up, his eyes on the wall before he glanced back at me. There was a sadness in his eyes as he looked at me. I knew he felt guilty right now. "Because I'm weak."

His explanation was not good enough, I didn't care though, I needed to know. "Is she in there giving birth to your baby right now?"

Daniel stood up, I didn't need him to speak, I knew when he turned away from me. "It wasn't meant to happen."

Nodding my head to myself, I felt my heart breaking from the admission. 

Gabi was supposed to be a good friend. Daniel was supposed to be my husband. Now, this had happened. 

Whatever I had done, this wasn't my fault. 

"She's had the baby!" The silence was broken by Brit's happy voice as she burst into the room. 

Plastering a smile on my face, I looked at Brit as I stood up. "What is it?"

"A boy, she's had a beautiful baby boy." Brit looked so happy, "I'm so in love with him."

Daniel looked back at me, our eyes meeting. "Go ahead," I encouraged him as I crossed my arms over my chest. 

"Gin?" He tried to speak to me but I shook my head.

"Give her my love," I said before I put my phone into my pocket. "I have to get going."

As I left, I heard footsteps following me. Turning back, I saw Daniel. "Please, Gin. Please, don't leave me."

Stopping in my tracks, I felt sick. "You have a baby in there," I reminded him. "You have to grow up, Daniel." I felt the tears in my eyes. "I have always loved you," I felt the tears fall as I looked at him. "Please don't follow me, Daniel. See your son, be with her."

Daniel dropped to his knees right then and there. "I can't do this without you."

I took a deep breath as I looked at him. All I felt was pity. "You have to," I said before I turned around and walked away. 

He called my name as I marched off. I had to walk as fast as possible to stop myself from turning back around. Tears streamed from my eyes as I headed off. 

My head was pounding as I thought about the change of events in the last fifteen minutes. I wondered what the hell Daniel was thinking, how did we end up here. Everything was a mess but I guess I'd been dealing with it for a while now. 

Rushing out of the hospital, I took a deep breath as I wiped my tears away. I needed to get away for a while.