The Warning - NH/DR

A smile crept across my lips as I entered the room, I may have looked calm and collected to all the people in the room but the truth was, I was a mess inside. Looking around the room quickly, my eyes scanning over as I tried to find a few friends to sit with. Parties were not my thing and even worse than parties were weddings yet here I was at a friend's wedding. I had missed the church service and the wedding breakfast due to work commitments but I had managed to get to the evening service. 

I braved it, my eyes set on where I needed to be before heading in that direction. Sitting on the right side of the dance floor was my friends, Camilla and Martin along with their youngest child, Alfie who was eating something orange from the colour around his mouth. 

"Hi guys," I greeted them as I stood at the side of the table. 

Camilla got to her feet and wrapped her arms around me, "I didn't know you were here. Sit down, have a drink with us." She turned to her husband, "Martin go and get Jenny a red wine." I didn't interrupt her as I smiled at Martin who obeyed is wife, smiling in my direction before heading off the bar. I sat down in the chair next to Camilla who grinned at me. "I didn't think you would be here," she admitted to me as she looked at me. 

"It's Aimee's wedding, of course, I would be here," I reminded the woman who had been close to both Aimee and me as teenagers. "Why wouldn't I come?" 

She raised her eyebrows as she looked around the room, I followed her gaze and saw who she was looking at. My eyes widened slightly as my breath hitched in my throat as I realised I was staring at my ex-husband. "Well, we're both Hollie's Godparents," I looked back at Camilla. "There's no problem, we're all adults here."

Camilla looked at me as I smiled. "Have you seen who he has brought with him?"

When I looked back over at the table, I raised my eyebrows. "Who?"

"No one," she pointed out. I looked at her again, my eyes narrowed at her. "That's just it though, isn't it?" She raised her eyebrows at me, "You both have come alone."

I shrugged my shoulders, "I didn't know he was going to be here and even if I did, I still would have come alone. It doesn't bother me that he's here and it certainly wouldn't bother me if he brought someone along."

"Sure," Camilla laughed as she looked back over at him. 

My eyes followed out of habit, but this time he wasn't sitting with just his friends, there next to him was a woman who looked very friendly when it came to him. I bit my lip as I watched, my mind racing as I thought about the words I had just spoken. 

The truth was, I never wanted to break up. I didn't want a divorce, I wasn't ready to end the relationship, the marriage I shared with the love of my life. When he announced that he thought our relationship was coming to an end, I didn't fight for him. He'd fallen out of love with me, he'd been the one to realise that his job was all too much and in return, our relationship was struggling. Him being away from the home for a lot of the year did put a lot of pressure on us, especially as a young couple but I thought we'd get through it. Other things got in our way too, the fact that I spent a lot of time at work when he was away, went against me. At one point we spoke about having a child but the little time we spent together and the amount of work we both did meant that actually things weren't meant to be at that time. 

Martin returned with my wine, I smiled as I took it from him and looked at him. "Cheers, how much do I owe you?"

"Don't be stupid," Martin laughed as he held his hands up. "It's nice to see you here, did you come alone?"

Nodding my head at him, I chuckled. "It's okay for people to come alone to weddings. I don't see the fuss in me finding a date," I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm much too busy for that. I did have a friend who offered to come along with me but I think it was more out of pity."

"Jenny!" My name was called out by a voice I knew well. I turned and saw Aimee in her besutiful wedding dress and a massive grin on her face. Getting up, she pulled me close hugging me like she'd not seen me for ages. "When did you get here?"

I smiled as I pulled away and looked at her, "I've not been here too long. I'm still on my first drink," I laughed as I admired her. She looked amazing today, she'd waited to marry her sweetheart, Nico but it seemed like they were in it for the long haul. 

"Come and dance with me," she said as she pulled on my hands. 

Not wanting to disappoint, I allowed her to take me the dancefloor. The music changed to something a little more relaxed yet still upbeat as she put her arms around me in a hug and danced with me in a hugging position with smiles on our faces. "I've missed you," I told her as I put my head on her bare shoulder. 

"Why don't you come around anymore?" She asked me as she held me close. 

I sighed, "You know why. I just can't face him." 

Aimee looked at me, her hands on either side of my face as she stopped dancing and stared into my eyes. "You are such a silly girl," she told me seriously before she kissed me on the cheek. "Don't even think that one of you means more to me than the other. I know it's difficult with Nico and Daniel working together but it doesn't mean our friendship needs to suffer."

My gaze was averted for a moment to Daniel who was sitting where he was before only this time he was with Nico and a few other driver's from work. I looked back at Aimee, "You are too good to me."

She took my hands as she started to dance again, my feet following her movements as I picked up the pace a little. "I just want you to be happy," she told me as she smiled. "Promise me, you'll find your Nico."

"Maybe," I laughed. "Just not Nico, okay? He's not my type."

Aimee playfully slapped my right arm as she shook her head, a grin on her lips. "Oh trust me, he's all mine now. Now that's we're married I'm never letting him go." Suddenly, she put her hand over her mouth as her eyes widened, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean-"

"Don't be stupid," I told her as I shrugged my shoulders. "Everything happens for a reason." I knew the saying was true but even after a couple of years, it didn't feel like there was a reason for this. 

Nico came over, "Can I cut in?" He asked as he looked at me. 

"Sure," I said as I let go of Aimee expecting him to take her away to dance with him. Instead, he took my hands and moved me away from Aimee, then he began to dance with me as the music changed to something a little slower. He put his hands on my waist as I put mine on his shoulders as we danced, but we were mainly there to talk more than anything. 

"Have you spoken to Daniel lately?" He asked me as he kept eye contact with me. 

I shook my head, "No. Should I have?"

Nico sighed as he looked at me, "I see the way you look at him." He was honest as he spoke to me, his German accent coming through in his words. "You are still in love with him."

"It's not that simple," I reminded him as I gave him a sad smile. "But, in all honesty, I never stopped loving him." I bit my lip as I glanced over in the direction of my ex-husband before I looked back at Nico. "There are some things that are best left in the past."

He laughed, "Funny. It's what he said to me just last week." Nico looked over my shoulder and smiled, turning my head I saw Aimee who was watching us before I looked back at him. "Go and dance with your new wife. I'm sure I will be okay."

"He's seriously considering moving back to Australia," he informed me as he stopped dancing and took his hands off me. His tone was serious as he looked at me, his facial expression one of sadness and pity. "If you want him in your life, you need to do something before it's too late."