59(TBP) - Nyck De Vries

'Here's to my ex, hey, look at me now'

 Holding my steering wheel, I flicked my visor down on my helmet giving me access to look wherever I wanted. My eyes glanced towards my ex-boyfriend who was standing by his car, his body was facing his vehicle but his head was looking in my direction. If he could have seen my eyes he would know we were looking straight at each other.

I sighed before I turned around, my best friend placing a hand on my right shoulder. "Lets get you in the car," he told me quietly.

Nodding, I handed Nyck my steering wheel before I climbed into my seat.

"Ruby!" I heard my name being called in that distinctive Canadian accent. Biting on my bottom lip, I looked up as I saw my ex-boyfriend, Lance making a beeline for my stationary F1 car.

I looked up at Nyck, "I don't want to deal with this," I said but through the helmet my words sounded like more of a mumble than anything else.

"Ruby," Lance said as he got to my car, standing at the side looking down at me. "We have to talk before you go out there."

This is not how I wanted to be remembered, one of the only women to ever make it on track and I was being hounded by a guy I had been in a relationship with. I knew how it looked to the rest of the world, I had heard what people had said about Lance, about how he got into racing, I didn't want that to be me too.

"She's not talking to anyone right now," Nyck stood up for me as he put his arm out in front of the car trying to keep Lance back.

Lance sighed, "This is between me and her, Nyck. Stand back."

"I'm warning you-" Nyck started.

"And what are you going to do?" Lance asked my friend as I watched helplessly from my car.

Raising my eyebrows, I looked at Lance who seemed to think he knew it all. I wanted to say something and as I reached for the strap of my helmet I heard Nyck speak again. "I won't do a single thing but I know that if you try anything, she'll never speak to you again."

Smiling, I put my hand on Nyck's as he looked at me. He knew me too well. No man was worth all this grief, especially not when I was at work. He gave me a small nod before Lance walked away leaving the two of us surrounded by the rest of the crew who was heating the tyres and checking various things.

"You're a fucking superstar," my mumbled voice came out again as I gave Nyck's hand a little squeeze.

He squeezed back as he smiled. "Now as a thank you," he gave me my steering wheel which I slotted into place, "I want you to get out there and kick some Canadian ass."

I laughed as I thought about his words. "Oh trust me, I plan too."