Cameras - Lewis Hamilton

'You got it all wrong to think that I wouldn't find out'

Everything in my world came to a grinding halt, my heart stopped for a brief moment before speeding it the point I felt sick. The sound around me went like a gunshot in a film, blurry but still there. All this was because of one thing, there as plain as day on the monitor I was watching was my partner and another woman kissing. You might think, why would my other half be so stupid to be caught on a camera I might be watching, well our company just received several new contracts.

"Jade?" I heard a voice breaking through the blur of noise.

I didn't look around, instead, I spoke letting them know I was listening as my eyes stayed not he screen. "Yeah?"

The kissing continued as the entwined couple headed to a hotel room like a couple of teenage idiots. I breathed in deeply as they broke apart, his hands running over his cornrows before he opened the door to the room, my heart broke a little more when they entered the room before the door closed leaving me staring at the empty corridor. 

"Do you wanna take a break?" My friend and colleague, Maria asked me as I noted down the hotel room number on a post-it note in front of me. 

Swirling around on my car, I looked at her, her big blue eyes staring at me waiting for me to speak. "No," I shook my head as I glanced back at the screen, my heart sinking more when the door to the hotel room stayed closed. 

Maria shrugged her shoulders, "I'm gonna go for mine then. I'll see you shortly." I watched her leave before I turned the car back around. 

My eyes were back on the screen, my job suddenly becoming less important as I neglected the other cameras of this hotel. I was a security camera operator, we monitored various hotels and other businesses throughout the country. Only my partner didn't know that this hotel, he was creeping around in, was a new one on our list. 

If I was honest I did have suspicions about him cheating but I never had any proof before, yet seeing him kissing the blonde was something that was concrete, something that would stick with me for a long time. 

Picking up my phone from the table, I pressed on his name, the call connecting and ringing. I listened to it just ring out, my hands shaking angrily as the voicemail connected. There was one more thing I could do, since I already knew where he was. Scanning the board, I dialled in the hotel's phone number before asking to be connected to the room they were in. 

The phone rang, I listened to it ringing before it was answered. "Hello?" The cheery out of breath voice of the woman answered. 

"Hello," I replied, in the background, I heard Lewis curse loudly. 

 "Who is this?" The woman asked me before I heard her move her head from the phone and speak again. "It's a woman."

I looked at the screen of the corridor, "This is Jade. Put Lewis on the phone." 

The phone moved, I could hear all the movement on the line before I heard breathing. "This isn't what it sounds like," he told me instantly knowing who it was. 

My heart was beating like crazy, my hands were sweating as I heard his voice. I hated how he made me feel, I hated what he did to me because I loved him so much. 

"Please don't insult me," I sighed as I shook my head. "I just wanted you to know that I know." I was surprisingly calm as I spoke to him, I had to be, I knew what I had to do. I ended the call and leaned back in my chair. 

Less than a minute later, the door he was in opened before I watched Lewis sprint out of it, the blonde nowhere to be seen as I watched him on the cameras leave the hotel. 

Five minutes later, Maria returned with two cups of tea, one which she placed in front of me. "Did I miss anything?"

"Only the break up of me and Lewis," I raised my eyebrows as I wrapped my hands around my tea. 

"What?" She almost shouted as she looked at me. "What are you talking about?"

Side eyeing her, I groaned. "He was here," I said about the hotel we were watching. "He was here making out with some blonde before they went into a hotel room. No one does that unless they are cheating," I shrugged my shoulders. 

Maria watched me carefully. "Why are you acting so casual about this?"

"Because shouting and screaming isn't going to help, is it?" I questioned her as I closed my eyes. "Besides, I'm sure I am going to need to save that for later when I see him."

"Do you love him?" She asked me. 

Opening my eyes, I nodded my head as I turned to face her. "Of course I do, more than anything."

"So, go fight for him."

I didn't want to, I didn't mean to but I laughed at her suggestion. "Have you not listened to a thing I just said? He's cheating on me, there's nothing to fight for, he's made his decision."

"Is that how you feel?" His voice asked from behind me. 

Turning on the chair, I glared at him. I couldn't believe he had the audacity to come here and ask me that, he was the one who was cheating, not me. 

My eyes scanned him, he was wearing the same clothes that he'd been at the hotel, he must have driven here at some speed, the hotel was at least fifteen minutes away. "You are the one who was with another woman in a hotel room," I reminded him. "Don't act like I'm the one giving up."

"If you were ever fucking home," he started to say.

I shook my head silencing him. "Don't blame me for your problems Lewis. You are never home either, you travel and work around the world for your job, yet I am the one who sits at home waiting for you." I didn't move from my chair as I pointed out these facts. "I would like you to leave, I'll be home after I finish my shift and I'll pack my stuff."

"What?"

"I'm going to come back to your house after work and get my stuff," I spoke slowly as I moved my head forward craning my neck. 

He looked surprised at my words. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm leaving you," I said bluntly even though I was sure he should have realised this before now.

"Do you not know who I am?" He asked me. 

I wanted to punch him in the face right then and there. "You're Lewis Hamilton," I said speaking before he could answer his stupid question. "You are the best formula one driver this generation has seen, you are the most sought after racer and world-famous celebrity," I reeled off some facts about him before I shook my head. "But you are a shit boyfriend and even worse person. I was never with you for your name or anything else, I was with you because I loved you. I was in a relationship with you because I thought we had something special and I thought you felt the same." I breathed out as I stood up and left a few inches between us, "I don't want to be in a relationship with someone who thinks cheating is okay."

"You don't know what you are doing, Jade."

Smiling, I shrugged my shoulders. "Probably not," I raised my eyebrows. "Bye Lewis."