We're Just Friends - Pierre Gasly

"Honestly it was the funniest thing I had ever seen," I recalled a story to my best friend as we sat together at the bench. We were both sitting on the sea wall about seven foot about the sand and just a step down the other side to the concrete promenade. "Max's sister thought putting polish down on the floor would be hilarious," I let out a laugh as I thought about what happened. "Uncle Jos had obviously had a few drinks since they had been to a wedding so when he came through the door he went flying as soon as he took his shoes off." I giggled to myself as Pierre laughed along with me. "Everyone was in stitches, even my father, Max was laughing so much he was on the floor too." I loved this story about the family, it reminded me of how close we all were. "He's never let me babysit again."

Pierre looked at me as he laughed, "Aren't you and Max the same age?" He was wearing his Formula One cap shielding his eyes from the sun, I was wearing a matching one over the top of my brown hair, something I did when the two of us was together. 

I nodded, "Yeah. Max was a little shit back then."

"Was?" Pierre's French accent was so thick as he spoke to me. 

"He's got better," I shrugged as I looked down at the sand. Max had honestly matured so much since hitting the big time with his driving skills, I envied him for getting out there and doing something with his life. "Do you wanna get some ice cream?" I changed the subject hoping not to think about how much of a failure I actually was.

Pierre shook his head, "I was thinking we could actually go out and get something to eat? I never see you eating a proper meal."

"You sound like my dad," I winked at him before getting off the wall and standing on the promenade and stretching my arms above my head. "Come on," I used my fake whiny voice as I pulled on Pierre's hands, "I want to get some tutti fruitti before it's all sold out."

He rolled his eyes before he let me pull him up before I smiled at him. "You are totally paying for mine, Princess," he nudged me playfully as we walked along towards the ice cream shop. "So, where is Max during the break?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "No idea, he's probably practising, getting ready for next week."

Right now the boys were on their break from Formula One for the summer, I spent a few days with Pierre every summer just because I could. The problem with the Formula One calendar was that all the races were all over Europe and I didn't have the money nor the time to be chasing my cousin and best friend around. 

Pierre and I met about ten years ago, Max and I were going to a karting track away from where we would normally go. Back then I used to kart alongside my cousin but several years passed and my interest in the sport waned, it didn't stop the friendship I had built with Pierre. I guess as I got older my interests changed, my priorities changed from having fun and spending my free time karting, to something a little more girly. I was spending more and more time investing in makeup, friends and boys. My poor attitude disappointed my father but he hoped that my friendship with Pierre and Max would bring me back to the real world, something which happened but not because of them directly.

"Okay," Pierre said with a cheeky grin, "Let's get this ice cream and go annoy Max at the track."

I laughed, "You are a brave man."

"Elisa!" I heard my name being shouted, I looked at Pierre before closing my eyes. I knew exactly who it was and I didn't want to deal with him right now. "Hey, Elisa." Now he was here, with me, when I opened my eyes he was standing in front of me and Pierre. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked him rudely as I crossed my arms over my chest and shook my head. I knew I should have never told him where I was going today, it was like he needed to know where I was and who I was with. 

My boyfriend, Alex, looked at me almost like he was annoyed to see me with a man who he didn't know. "You said you were hanging out here today, I thought I would surprise you." Oh, he certainly surprised me. I noticed him looking at the matching hats me and Pierre had one, the look on his face was one of disapproval.

Pierre cleared his throat next to me making me look at him, I looked back to Alex and sighed, "Alex, Pierre, Pierre, Alex." Let the awkwardness commence.

Alex offered his hand to Pierre who shook it, "Nice to meet you, man." Alex made an effort with my best friend, a smile was on his face and he looked like he was genuinely interested. "I thought I recognised you, Elisa makes me watch every race." He sounded like he being kind but I knew better. "I thought we just watched for her cousin but I see there was another reason."

Pierre looked away from Alex and to me. "You never told me about Alex."

"Funny that," Alex spoke as he glanced in my direction, "She didn't tell me about you either."

Rolling my eyes I shrugged my shoulders, "You guys are crazy." I looked at Alex, "Pierre is a very good friend of mine. Don't you pay any attention to me when we watch racing at the weekends?" Then I looked at Pierre, "Alex is my boyfriend." Soon to be ex if he's not careful. To be honest I had been looking for an excuse to break up with him and this might be it, his insane jealousy over me hanging out with a friend. 

Alex looked at Pierre once again before he grabbed my arm and pulled me aside, just out of Pierre's earshot. "Do you think it's acceptable for you to be hanging out with a male friend, just the two of you?"

Yanking my arm back from him I laughed, "Give over, Alex. We're just friends. You are the one making a big deal out of it."

"No," he shook his head. "You are the one who lied to me about who you were seeing today. You are the one who has something to hide."

I stepped closer to him and spoke through gritted teeth, "I never lied. You assumed. You see this," I flicked my hand between the two of us before smirking, "This is over. Finished. I don't want to be with you anymore."

He grabbed hold of my hand and kept me standing there, "So you are seeing him?"

Mustering my strength I pushed him away from me, "Goodbye, Alex." I turned away from and returned to Pierre, "Can we just forget the ice cream? Can we please just go and see Max?"

Pierre smiled at me, "Let's get you out of here, Princess. I hear the track is down one female racer." He always knew the right things to say, he truly was the best friend a girl could ask for.