seventy-three

THREE MONTHS LATER

"Ashton! Come on!" I giggle, looking back at him as he trails behind me. He never stayed mad at me for leaving him to see Luke, it was just a couple days and we talked it out.

"Kels, just go find Luke!" Kyle laughs, knowing that's the only reason I'm rushing them.

We were just at the formal part of the celebrations of the company's move, now we're at an after party, since it's apparently normal for Luke and some of his employees to party together.

Opening the door to the mansion they have for the night, I almost gasp as I look around. I smile, seeing everybody socializing around the beautiful home, making my way through to find Luke.

"Luke!"

He quickly looks over after hearing his name, smiling once he spots me. I walk towards him as he quickly exits his conversation, meeting me halfway.

"Hey, Kels." He grins, quickly kissing my cheek, "Where's all your roommates?"

"Ashton got a little too drunk already, they're slowly making their way in. I've cut him off, though." I giggle, shaking my head.

"I love that, honestly. Good for him." Luke laughs, pulling me close.

I smile, looking up at him, "I'm really proud of you. You've really grown up. Just look at you, look around this place."

"If you keep talking like that I'm going to have to kiss you." Luke says, pulling me closer to him.

"Hey! That's not allowed and you know that."

"When is this rule over?" Luke groans.

"A couple weeks, Luke. You got this." I laugh, shaking my head at him.

When Luke moved to LA, I set some boundaries for us. He's been here for about three weeks now. There weren't many rules, I just don't want anything physical for now. It's best for us to take it really slow. I gave him a timeline since the two of us just want to be all over each other. We've been going on dates together and hanging out, and that's all. We are getting to know each other really well again.

"Ashton! Buddy, how are you?" Luke asks, chuckling as my friends walk over to us.

"Great! Gonna go party now." Ashton smiles, wandering off.

"He's looking for Calum." Kyle laughs as he walks by us, following Ashton.

Luke grabs my hand, pulling me through the crowd into the backyard. There were still people out here, but definitely less crowded.

"I am really proud of you, though." I repeat, from our conversation earlier.

"Thanks, Kels. I really appreciate it. I wouldn't be here without you." Luke replies, wrapping his arm around my waist, pulling me into his side.

"Oh, don't say that." I tell him, turning to face him.

"I don't know, you do inspire me. I try to do better not only for myself but for you too."

"I'm so happy you're here." I smile, "It still doesn't feel real."

"You were at my place the other day, you know it's real." Luke laughs, reaching out and grabbing my hand.

"We should probably go back in and socialize."

"I would like to stare at you instead, through."

Giggling, I shake my head at him, "You know you need to go back inside. Come on."

With his hand still in mine, I guide him back inside to the party. Luke genteelly squeezes my hand as we get inside the house, getting ready to socialize.

-

As we arrive back at our place, the roommates all head inside, ahead of Luke and I was we walk slowly behind them hand in hand.

Luke and I stop at the door, he turns me to face him.

"I had fun tonight. Congrats again on everything, Luke."

"Thanks, Kels. I'm glad you enjoyed it."

"So, uh, I guess I should head inside..." I trail off.

"Goodnight, Kelsey. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yes, of course."

When I get inside and close the door behind me, I look up to see all my friends standing there waiting for me.

"So did you break the rule yet?" Nina asks.

"Uh, no." I mutter, somewhat confused.

"Damn!" Ashton yells, Kyle and Nina both chuckling.

"What?" I question.

"We we're betting to see if you'd break the rule tonight."

"Guys!" I exclaim, annoyed at them get letting out a giggle.

"We just see how you two are. It's hard to believe you haven't just ripped each other's clothes off." Nina chuckles, shaking her head at me.

"Okay, enough!" I laugh.

"We're happy for you, though." Ashton smiles, as Kyle and Nina nod. 

"Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it." I tell them, heading up to my room.

I sigh, quickly changing out of this dress, just wanting to get comfortable for bed. Heading to the bathroom, I start removing my makeup.

"You good if I join?" Ashton questions, walking into the bathroom.

"Come on in." I chuckle.

He starts brushing his teeth, while I wash my face.

"Did you enjoy yourself tonight?" I ask, patting my face dry.

"Obviously! I kinda drank a lot, let Luke know I'm sorry." Ashton chuckles as he finishes brushing his teeth.

I shake my head at him, "Don't worry about it. I'm glad you had a good time."

"So, you really didn't break your rules?"

I chuckle, "I didn't. I will say I want to, but I know we really have to go slow."

"Slow? The second your little rule is up you two will be doing everything."

"No! Maybe? No. I don't want to. I want us to go slow."

"Have you guys been saying you love each other? We all know it but like, are you going to make it a whole special thing whenever you're ready?"

"We haven't. We really did a whole reset on everything, especially when he moved here."

"I really am happy for you, Kels. I'm glad you've finally made it to this point."

"Thanks, Ash."

"So, uh, I do have something I'd like to tell you, though."

"Oh, fuck."

"It's not bad, I don't think? Um, so, Michael is coming by tomorrow. We've sort of been getting along again recently. If you're uncomfortable, please let me know. I just figured things with Luke are going well for you, so..." Ashton trails off.

"Oh. Yeah, that's great for you. I'm glad that you two were able to stay friends after everything." I reply, forcing a smile.

"Kels-"

"Ashton, it's fine. Things were just not good with him last time we saw him. So, you know, if I see him it's probably gonna be a little weird."

"Okay. Yeah, I get that. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize. If I happen to see you both, I'll be able to talk to him. I've moved past everything. I've been doing pretty well at keeping things that happened in the past, in the past."

_______________________

hi I hope this is okay! I def still have kinda a lot of chapters left in this (I think) but idk how to end it bc I changed my plans partway thru writing this book LMAO
I got some ideas tho send good vibes my way so I can sort it out thanks! lmao