thirty-three

When I finally arrive home I sigh, tossing my keys on the table. I bring my luggage up to my room but end up carrying my other bag to Ashton's room.

"Kels! You haven't really talked to me since you've been gone, and we need to." He says, patting the spot next to him, sitting on his bed and putting my bag down next to me.

"Have you talked to Michael?" I ask, deciding to get right into it.

"Uh, no. He hasn't answered me since I told him to go check in on you. You've both been ignoring me. I wanna know what's going on. Are you okay?"

The second he asks if I'm okay, I snap. I start sobbing, my head resting in my hands as I cry.

"Wha- Kelsey, come here." Ashton mumbles, quickly pulling me close to him.

He runs his hand through my hair, telling me I'm okay. Ashton keeps mumbling things to me, but I can barely hear him over my wailing.

"I'm so sorry, Ashton!"

"What's wrong?"

"I don't even know where to start!" I exclaim, tears still pouring down my face.

"Calm down, it's okay. Shh, you can tell me what happened when you're not crying."

I nod, sniffling as I try to wipe my tears, "I'm okay."

"Tell me what's going on." He says, frowning at me.

"It all started out fine. You know, Thursday after class I went to Seattle. Things were okay, I just spent some time with Kiana, Harrison and Calum. Friday morning is when Michael showed up."

"When he found your ring?" He asks.

I nod, "He was so upset at me for not telling him about me being married before. Then I had to tell him I still am. He lost it, Ashton. But I mean, rightfully so. I get it. It just, he was the one person I needed, and he had flipped so quickly on me. It hurt. I called you, I wanted to drink, Michael came back, it was whatever."

"How was it? Did things go okay?"

"We didn't talk much after. He just made sure I was okay and got rid of the alcohol. That's it. Uh, a lot of other stuff happened over the next few days."

"Like what?"

I unzip my bag, grabbing the large envelope and toss it over to Ashton.

"What is this?" He asks, looking at me for permission to open it.

Nodding, I give him permission, and he quickly pulls out the papers inside. His eyes quickly skim over the pages before he looks up at me with a smile.

"He signed!" He exclaims, jumping up to come hug me.

Once he pulls away I give him a smile, a small chuckle passing my lips.

"Congrats, Kels. I mean, normally you don't congratulate people for a divorce. But this took so long and was such a battle for you. How did you even get this?"

"Thanks. I know, it's been so messy." I laugh, ignoring his question.

"I'm happy for you! You've waited years. We should celebrate!"

"Oh, yeah, let's get a cake and get fucking blackout drunk." I roll my eyes, snapping at Ashton.

"What? Sorry, I- I- What? Why would you say that?"

"Because I'm not sober, Ashton. So, let's celebrate. It won't take me long to find blow, either." I tell him, unable to keep it in.

"Kelsey! What? How?" He yells, clearly upset with me.