seventy-nine

As I get into the car with Ashton, I smile over at him and thank him for picking me up from my appointment.

"Of course, Kels. How was it? You feeling okay?"

"Yeah! It's actually been going really well." I tell him.

I've been going to therapy for a few weeks now, and it's been going great. I really feel more comfortable with my feelings with Luke.

"I'm so proud of you, Kelsey."

"Thank you for always being here for me, through everything, Ash."

"Stop! We're best friends! And as best friends, I have to talk to you."

"What's up?"

"I have like, a real date tonight. I can't remember the last time I went on a real date with somebody I actually think I like. I need your help. What do I wear? How do I even act?"

I laugh, shaking my head at him, "I'll help you. I know you're only used to the type of 'dates' where you're going to hook up and never speak again."

"Exactly! Having a real first date with real feelings is so weird and I don't know what I'm doing."

"You're unbelievable." I mutter.

When we arrive back at the house and Ashton says he's going to nap before getting ready, so I go take one as well.

-

"Kelsey!" Ashton calls, making me groan.

"Give me a minute!" I reply, too comfortable in bed to want to get up and help him.

Eventually I get up and make my way to Ashton's room, where he's rummaging around to find clothes he wants to wear.

"You good?"

"I don't wanna talk about me. You never told me how your discussion with Luke about marriage went. Tell me." He says, avoiding my question.

"It actually went well. I love him. Who cares about me right now? Let's get you ready."

"So, what do I do? Is this okay?" He asks, as he lays out an outfit on his bed.

"I don't know why you need my help. You're doing fine."

"Let me try it on!" He says, pulling his T-shirt over his head.

"I don't want to watch you strip."

"We've literally fucked, Kelsey. As I stand here in my underwear, you've seen me in less."

"Okay! Enough!" I groan, as he finishes getting ready.

"Do I look hot? But do I also look fancy enough?"

I chuckle as I get up and go over to him. Grabbing one of his necklaces off his desk, as he seems to just throw them anywhere, I put it on him. Then I undo one of the buttons, as he definitely went to high.

"Okay, we're getting there." I mumble, as I step back to look him up and down.

"Is it better?" He asks.

"Yes. With those shoes." I tell him, pointing to the boots near his bedroom door.

"I'm nervous." He mumbles, grabbing the shoes.

"Just enjoy it. Don't overthink it, it'll all be fine. If you just be yourself you'll both have a great time. I promise. You're so hard on yourself. Just open up and everything will go perfect." I smile, pressing a quick kiss to his cheek.

He takes a deep breath, "I guess I'll try. Fuck."

"You're so nervous, it's so cute! You really like her!" I giggle, smiling as I watch him inspect himself in the mirror.