thirteen

"Ashton, oh my god!" I scream, the second the front door closes behind me.

He flinches, a small yelp leaving his lips as he turns from the couch to face me.

"Sorry! Sorry. We need to talk." I tell him, quickly rushing up to my room.

Ashton quickly follows behind, a bit confused, but also clearly really wanting to hear about what happened with Michael.

"He told you, didn't he? You finally fucked, didn't you?" Ashton questions the second my bedroom door closes.

"Ashton!" I exclaim, glaring at him.

He shrugs, "What? I figured that's what would happen."

"He told me he's in love with me."

"Finally."

"I said it back."

"Oh?"

"Oh? What does that mean?"

"I thought you weren't ready for that."

I shrug, "I don't know... I think I do love him. He means the most to me. Ashton, I love Michael. I don't understand why the past few days you've been so on edge about it."

"Because in the future when you tell me you're still in love with Luke I'm going to be in the worst situation between you and Michael!"

"How many times do I have to tell you I'm not in love with Luke! There's a reason we're divorced!" I yell, though I'm not sure if Nina and Kyle are home.

"I understand that, Kels! I'm just saying you may have just repressed those feelings because of what happened! I'm worried you might see Luke's face one day and realize you're supposed to be with him! I think you and Michael are perfect. I think you're meant to be with Michael. I'm just worried. That's all. I'm sorry."

I sigh, "I'm sorry! But I highly doubt that'll ever happen. I'll never see him again anyways! I love my boyfriend. I love Michael. Okay?"

"Okay, fine!" Ashton says, raising his hands in surrender.

"I don't understand why we fight about this. I know you're worried... but it's my life. I'm making the right choices here. I know what I'm doing. Thanks for caring, but I'm okay. I got this."

After a few moments of silence, Ashton speaks up, "When did he say it?"

"After when we were back at his place. He brought me to the roof of his building. We had some wine-"

"Kels!"

"It was non-alcoholic! I took one sip because I knew it wouldn't be good for me. Anyways, he said it after that. He's so precious."

"You love him?"

I nod, "I do, Ashton. Trust me. God, you're more skeptical and taking this more seriously than Michael."

"I'm happy for you, Kels. You deserve this." Ashton smiles, giving me a quick hug.

"Thanks." I smile, unable to stay upset at Ashton.

Ashton and I were rarely able to stay mad at each other. We rarely get mad at each other in general. He was truly the greatest best friend I could ask for.

"What happened after he said it?"

"We went back to his apartment..."

"So you did finally fuck!"

"Actually, no. I mean, almost, but no. I can't, yet." I tell him.

He nods in response and goes about to reply until my phone rings. I quickly answer, not paying much attention to who's calling.