four

Second year started off well, minus the fact that at nineteen I was trying to divorce my husband, becoming an addict, and my friends had no idea about any of it. But I was okay with that, this was my personal life and I was embarrassed. So, I kept it quiet.

Ashton and I were back to working our jobs on campus, as we went to class, and continued trying to have social lives.

A month in, we all went to a party on campus. I had met a lot of new people that night, including Ashton's friend, Michael. They had met in first year at some party and had been friends ever since.

Ashton, Michael and I left the party together. We went to McDonald's, Ashton was so high, and drunk, and Michael was drunk. I was high as well, but they didn't know that. It was the place we needed to be.

//

"I'm shocked Ashton never introduced us earlier, or that I've never seen you around." I tell Michael, tapping my fingers against the table of the McDonald's booth we're sitting in.

"Well, I've seen you around, I just don't think you've ever noticed me. You didn't know me until tonight." Michael replies, shrugging his shoulders as he leans back into his seat.

"You didn't know me until tonight either." I add, considering we only met tonight.

Michael nods, "Yeah, but I knew of you. Ashton talks about his friends a lot. I'd see you two together on campus sometimes. It's hard not to notice somebody like you."

After his last comment his eyes wandered to his food in front of him, refusing to make eye contact.

I bite my lip, trying to hold back a smile, "Oh, really?"

He nods again, trying to hide his small smile, "Yeah."

"Guys, it took them so fucking long to make my food, fuck." Ashton groans, plopping down next to me.

"Dude, it wasn't that long. You're just high as fuck." Michael chuckles.

Michael and I had both already ate, we just didn't order as much as Ashton. Ashton just never stops.

We sat in silence as Ashton focused only on eating his food. Michael and I both kept giving each other looks from across the table.

"What the fuck are you two doing?" Ashton asks, looking up from his food for the first time, finally acknowledging Michael and I.

I quickly look away from Michael, trying to hide my smile.

"Don't worry about it, eat your food." Michael says, before looking over at me and smirking.

Ashton shrugs, going back to his food and ignoring Michael and I.

Michael and I spent the rest of our time there talking to each other, some might say it was flirty, but I won't admit to it.

//

Eventually Ashton and I managed to make our way back to our apartment, Nina and Kyle were both there already. They were both asleep though. Ashton and I got ready for bed but met up back in our kitchen sitting at the island.

We were both sat on stools as we both dig into ice cream right from the tub. Ashton and I were both sober by then.

//

"Michael's pretty great, huh?" Ashton says, looking over to me.

I try my best to hide the smile on my lips, "I think so, yeah. He's a nice guy."

"Oh, will you cut the crap? I know you two were flirting, I'm not that clueless." Ashton says, pulling the tub of ice cream away from me.

"Hey! I want more!" I complain, completely ignoring the Michael conversation.