Chapter 5

AMARACHI

I took hold of her hand and she led me to her parked car. We got into the car and the driver ignited the engine.

"Take us home" she ordered but with a soft tone.
The driver nodded and turned the car around.

  I still felt a bit tense which I'm sure she noticed as I found her gaze on me.

"What is it my dear?"she asked me with a smile on her face.

I didn't want her to think I was being rude so I smiled back at her and shook my head.

"Nothing ma"

She sighed and let out a laugh"it's ok. I understand you may be a little scared. I'm just trying to help you"

I didn't know this woman from Adam but the kindness she showed me within this few minutes surpassed aunty Lydia's attitude towards me my entire life.

"You can come to my house whenever you want to fetch water ok. My door is always open"she added.

I smiled again, this time it was genuine. I already liked this woman.

We got to her house and the driver honked the horn. A man on uniform came out and opened the gate for us.

She lowered down the car window of her seat and smiled at the gateman who was waving at her.

"Wow! It seems her workers really love her. Who wouldn't love this woman? She's so kind"

"Madam welcome! you come back early o"the gateman said in pidgin.
He quickly ran to the car and and opened the door for her.
I opened the door and stepped down. I walked towards her and stood by her side with my jerry-can (water gallon).
Her house was magnificent. I couldn't help but admire this grand splendor.
  "Um yes. I just came to drop..."her voice trailed off as she turned towards me and found me staring at her house with my jaws dropped.

I noticed her gaze and casted my head downwards feeling embarrassed.

She just caught me staring at her house! What would she think of me!?

  She smiled at me and held my hand,"I came to drop her off. Behave yourself o Philemon. She is going to fetch water here"

  "Good morning" I greeted Philemon as I brought myself to look at him and smiled.

  He nodded his head and greeted me back.

"Ehen Cynthia!"she called out as we stood outside.
"Bia(come) this girl" she added.
The door of her house opened and a young girl came outside smiling.

  "Welcome ma"she greeted and she turned to me and smiled.

"She addressed her as ma, possibly this is also a worker"

"Cynthia show ummm..."she turned to me which made me realise I hadn't even told her my name.

"Amarachi"I added quickly.

"Yes, show Amarachi where she can get water ok. Whenever she wants water let her fetch it"she ordered in that commanding but soft tone.

Cynthia nodded and took hold of my hand, leading me to the back of the house.

Her duplex was really magnificent. I never believed I would ever enter Chief Justice's compound.

We walked in silence, which was killing me. I didn't like it.
"Your madam is very nice o"I said to start up a conversation.

"Yes she is. She is really a kind woman" Cynthia replied as we approached the tap at the back.

"Why is she back here in this village?"
God! I shouldn't have asked that! It wasn't my business for Christ sakes. I quickly regretted asking and hoped Cynthia wouldn't get angry.
I dropped my jerry-can beneath the metallic opening of the tap.