Chapter 44

"Francis I have something to discuss with you"Lydia said in a hushed tone. She surveyed the surrounding to make sure Amara won't come out from the inner rooms.

  Francis rolled his eyes at Lydia, wondering what she wanted this time.
"Amara is becoming a huge thorn in our flesh"Lydia finally stated.

Francis scrunched his face at Lydia.
"What? How?"

Lydia let out a low hiss and exhaled deeply.
"You don't know? She is taking away the things that belongs to Ogechi"

"What is this rubbish you are saying Lydia? What belongs to Ogechi that Amarachi is taking please?"Francis asked immediately.

"Mrs Justice came to the shop today and praised Amara's sewing work. Those brainless girls that works under me showed her a dress sewed by Amara. If not that Amara didn't come to work today I'm sure she would have even given her a cheque. That girl is gradually taking all the glory that belongs to Ogechi"

Francis murmured and cursed under his breath.
Lydia let out a breathy laugh.
"This was how Emeka took away all what belonged to you now Amara is doing it to our daughter. Francis do you want our daughter to be rendered useless?"Lydia bellowed at Francis.

"Never. It won't happen. Emeka was mama's favourite and took everything belonging to me. I won't let that orphan do the same"Francis replied.

A wicked grin formed on Lydia's face and she clasped her hands together.
"Good. This is what I want. That girl has to leave this house. One way or the other"

***********
AMARACHI

     I carefully cleaned my sewing machine,wiping off any dust and dirt  I could spot.
Since aunty Lydia wanted me to start working from home, uncle Francis brought back my mother's sewing machine yesterday evening for me to  use.
I stopped cleaning for a while and stared at the machine.
It felt so unreal that my late mother once used this machine.
I let my fingers graze around the edges of the machine.
At that point, I wish i could see my mother.
  To be honest, it has been so long she died and I can't even remember how she looks like again. Even when i dream of her, I can't seem to recall her face when I wake up.
I sighed deeply and continue cleaning the machine.

  Aunty Lydia came outside and stared at me.
I didn't even know she was behind me until i turned to meet her baleful stare.
"I wonder how long she has been staring at me"

"Aunty good morning"
She didn't give me any reply instead she continued her awkward stare.
I had already washed the plates, prepared breakfast and washed the clothes.
I was practically done for today--atleast this morning.
Why was she then staring at me?

"Amarachi you know I told you that you shouldn't come to the shop regularly again and you should walk from home"aunty Lydia finally voiced out.

I nodded my head nervously, wondering where her discussion was going.
I just had a gut feeling that she would do something to ruin this freedom she gave me.

"Well I have decided to sell your mother's sewing machine"

A gasp escaped my lips and my eyes widened.
Why?
That was all I could think off.
"Aunty why?"

Aunty Lydia chuckled and then glared at me.
"You are asking me why? Are you stupid? Well if you must know I need money and I have to sell your mother's sewing machine"
I shook my head in dismay and let out a low wailing.

"But to keep you busy you have to look for work to do so you can raise the money to get yourself a new machine"
What!?

"Aunty it isn't fair. You have so many sewing machines why sell mine? My late mother's for that matter aunty. Do you hate me that much. I feel a connection to her when I sew on this machine. Aunty don't take it away from me please"I pleaded.
I was so annoyed and sad at the same time.

Aunty Lydia just stared at me, with jaws dropped. She folded her arms and kept on staring at me.
Probably surprised by my boldness to speak out.
"Amarachi did you just say all these rubbish?"she asked quietly as she approached me.

I stuttered backwards and quivered in fear.
I suddenly lost my boldness.
"No Amarachi did you just say all that rubbish? Are you stupid? I clothe you and feed you. Just this little thing i want to do, you suddenly turned to a lioness. Amarachi you are very stupid! Infact God punish your useless mouth! See I won't beat you o because I don't have that time but if you can't contribute to the income of this family I will definitely send you packing!"

I swallowed my saliva as I stood, listening to everything she said.
She hissed loudly and turned to leave.
I slumped on the ground and buried my face in my hands, sobbing and wailing.
Why me?
She has so many machines, why does she want to take all the little memories of my mother away from me?
To crown it all she threatened to throw me out of the house again.
I wept more and prayed silently for death.
This wasn't a life I was living.
This was bondage.

********

  "Bia amosu(come here witch). What did you do to Amara?"Nne asked as she stepped outside from her inner room with her walking stick aiding her steps.
She heard when Amara raised her voice and she knew Lydia had something to do with it.
Now in the parlour,she could still hear Amara wailing outside.

Lydia ignored her question and sat on the chair.
Nne furrowed her brows in confusion.
"Am I not talking to a human being? Are you becoming deaf?!"

Lydia hissed loudly and grumbled.
"What do you want old cargo!?"Lydia replied harshly.

"Me?old cargo?"

Lydia rolled her eyes at Nne and stood to face her.
"You better go and find where to sit down. If you want to know what I did to Amara, I just gave her more sense because that girl lacks sense and if she doesn't take the sense I gave her then she will leave this house"

"Metchi onu!(shut your mouth)"Nne immediately replied.
"Lydia I have taken too much of your wickedness. You have been so cruel to poor Amara. Your days in the house are numbered. If you don't change I'll make sure I expose your secret to Francis"

A smirk curved on the corners of Lydia's lips,"which secret is that old woman?"

"The secret that you were the one who sent that man to rape Chinenye, Amara's mother, out of your jealousy"