Chapter 24

AMARACHI

  "You made these dress?"chikaima asked for the umpteenth time as he stared at the dress i sewed with a wide smile plastered on his face.

"Yesssssss"i replied laughing.
I liked the fact that he admired my work. It made me feel good of myself.

"You are a very good seamstress Amara"chikaima complimented me.
My cheeks turned red and i couldn't hide my blushing.
Chikaima raised an eyebrow at me and  raised my chin just enough for me to look at his face.
  He stared intently in my eyes.
Oh lord! I felt really uncomfortable.
I tried putting down my face but he shook his head.
"No don't put your face down"he said in a whisper.
"You are very beautiful Amarachi"he breathed out to me.
I felt something stirred in me.
  Suddenly chief clement barged into the shop which made Chikaima let go of my chin.
"Where is Madam Lydia?!"chief clement asked arrogantly.
I glanced at Chikaima and faced chief clement,"she's not here"i answered bluntly.
   If only Chikaima knew the monster standing infront of me.
He muttered under his breath and turned to leave but stopped in his tracks and turned to face me.
"Have you thought of my....."chief clement stopped,trying to figure out the right words to say.
He glanced over at Chikaima,"have you thought of my proposal amara?"
         Disgust was written all over my face. I felt like spitting on his face.
"No!"i yelled to my own surprise.
A sly smile appeared by the side of chief clement lips.
"Then get ready to face the consequences"Chief clement threatened before walking out.

Chikaima immediately came over to me and held my hand.
"What was that all about?"he asked worriedly.
I shook my head"nothing ok"
"Are you sure Amara? Please tell me"Chikaima pleaded.
I didn't want to add him in my troubles. I told Nonso and Rebecca almost killed me. I didn't want the same thing to happen between i and chikaima.
I was about talking when i noticed aunty Lydia bumping into chief clement.
I gasped in shock.
This was bad.
Chikaima turned around to look at what caught my attention. He then turned back and faced me.
"You ok?"he asked
I nodded my head but my heart was thumping. I could tell that chief clement was lashing at aunty lydia who in turn will lash at me.
I felt shivers run down my spine when she shot me a glare.
  "Uum chikaima please you have to go now ok. My madam might think I'm playing around. We will talk again"i said quickly. I didn't want to chase him away but i didn't want him to witness aunty Lydia humiliating me again.
He just stood speechless before nodding his head at me.
"Fine ok. We will see later"he said before heading out.
I sat back,anxiously waiting for aunty Lydia to come. I was perspirating already.
Finally she left chief clement and entered the shop.
    I was submerged in the feeling of dread as she gave me a baleful look.
"So instead of you to save my shop you are busy having boyfriends here and there?"Aunty lydia asked rheotorically.

"Boyfriend!"I exclaimed.
"I dont have a boyfriend aunty. He is just my friend"
She eyed me from head to toe before smiling,"let me tell you something Amara. If anything happens to my shop then you will definitely leave my house".
I swallowed the bile forming in my throat and nodded my head at her.
I was between the sea and the devil.
       If i don't marry chief clement,i would be thrown out of the house and nonso will definitely take me in and once he does, Rebecca will get hurt. On the other hand if i marry chief clement, I'll end up ruining my life.
I groaned within me and silently prayed for a miracle to happen.

*****************
JORDAN

  I couldn't help but think about Amara. Something was wrong but she didn't want to tell me.
I arrived home and slumped on the sofa.
Massaging my temples,a deep sigh escaped my mouth.
"You are back. Jordan where did you go?"My mum asked as she came out from the kitchen carrying a plate of rice.
The aroma was so mouthwatering.
I felt my tummy growl. I was so engrossed in thinking about Amara that i didnt realise how hungry i was.
"Well my dear mother i went to see this particular girl,well a friend i made"i replied with a smile.
My mum eyes lit up and she tilted her head as she stared at me.
"Who is this special girl my son went to see?"she asked out of curiousity.
"Mum she is my friend. But today it felt like she was in trouble"i replied as the memory of Amara's worried face kept rushing back to my mind.

  "We were talking happily and cheerfully but then this old man came in and immediately her countenance changed"I added as mum paid rapt attention.
"That means something is definitely wrong. Did you ask her?"

  I sighed and nodded my head,"Yes but she didn't say anything".
My mum smiled at me.
"Give her time ok. Next time you can go visit her. Probably its personal"

I knew she was right. I nodded my head and stood up,heading to the kitchen.
"By the way,Nicole called"Mum said as she took a bite of the chicken in her rice.
I groaned immediately.
Nicole?
What does she want?
Sooner or later I'll have to confess how i truly felt to her.
My dad was just trying to push us together because her father was his business partner.
Nicole will have to know i dont love her. There was someone else on my mind. Amara.