Chapter 82

AMARACHI

I assisted Tolu and her mother in setting up dinner on the dinning table. There was no way I could think of being idle and not doing anything, especially towards the family that just took me in.

Dinner was a time for me to get to know each of them. Their oldest child,a boy, Ayo, really reminded me of Nonso.
I missed him so much but at the same time, I didn't want to go back.
I had gone through hell and almost died.
Now I'm in this place, in the new state and it seems like God has given me another chance to start over my life.

I was finally free from aunty Lydia and her schemes. Finally I could start over.
But Jordan. That name rang in my head suddenly. Would i ever get to see him again?
My first love got ripped away from me even before we had the chance to blossom.

"Amarachi"Tolu said snapping me out of my thoughts.
I immediately realised I hadn't been paying attention to what was going on in the dinning room.
I hadn't even been eating much.
"Where have your mind been? Are you thinking of your family?"Mr Ojo, the man who saved me, asked.

I let out a soft smile and shook my head. "No sir. I don't miss them. Besides I don't have a family"

Everybody's eyes widened and Tolu raised a brow at me. "Don't say that Amarachi. Don't be hard on yourself. It wasn't their fault that you got kidnapped and taken away from your home"
If only she understood me.

"I know but I truly don't have a family. I'm an orphan and the people i stayed with weren't my family. They maltreated me. I was more of a slave there. I'm happy I'm away from them"I replied trying to put up a smile.

I could observe everybody was shocked by what I said.
Mrs ojo cleared her throat, breaking the silence. "Tell us again my dear, how did you get kidnapped?"

I recounted the entire story with tears in my eyes.
I had really gone through hell and I was determined to move on and start a fresh new life.

"Eshey o. God, thank you nothing happened to Amarachi o"Tolu said as she nudged my shoulder.
I smiled at her, genuinely.
Her warm hospitality was beautiful, it really touched me.

"Abi. Amarachi you can stay with us. Feel free ok. You will start a new life with us and everything will go smoothly from here on"Ayomide said with beaming smiles.

But how sure am I that things will go on smoothly from here on?

* * * * * * * *

"So Amarachi you mean you are really that much of an expert in sewing?"Tolu asked as we sat in her mum's shop.
I nodded my head at her.
"I wouldn't say I am expert but I can sew. Back home I sew alot. One of these days I'll make something for you"I replied happily.

I was really enjoying my stay here.
Tolu was so nice, nicer than Ogechi by far. She didn't even let me do much of the house chores this morning. I had to even beg her to let me accompany her to her mother's shop this afternoon and atleast help out.

She was just treating me like I was a pregnant woman that needed rest all the time.

"Amarachi if that's the case I want a very fine dress that I can use to seduce my fiance"she said with a wink.
My eyes lit on hearing that word.
Fiance, really?
She was engaged.

"Really! You are engaged Tolu"

She giggled and I could see that she was blushing. She tried covering it but ended up blushing more.

"Yes Amara. Don't mind me for not always putting on my ring.
But I am"

I immediately hugged her which took her by surprise but she hugged me back.
This was so beautiful to hear.
I felt so happy for her.